"I'm gonna marry you."

Marinette and her family use to live in Gotham. Their bakery was probably the only place that everyone actually felt safe. Not even the rogues touched the place.

The Dupain-Chengs were particularly close to the Wayne family due to their frequent visits to the bakery. They have also catered for many Wayne galas.

When Damian had moved in with his father, the Dupain-Chengs were the first to meet him. Bruce had wanted Damian to get comfortable with living in Gotham so he thought it was best he met someone his age. That's when Damian met Marinette.

Marinette was taller than Damian at the time. Apparently she was too sweet to be his friend. But he put up with her. Despite them being the same age, Damian always liked to act like he was superior.

The two would have competitions all the time. Soon enough they learned to enjoy each other's company. Damian grew to have a crush on Marinette. Marinette hadn't figured out her feelings for him yet.

The two were inseparable. Marinette was the only person Damian seemed to like being around, not counting his pets and Alfred.

It was sweet to watch the two interact. It always brought a smile on to both their families faces.

~

Marinette and Damian were in the Wayne garden. Both were sitting on the grass talking about anything and everything. Soon the topic of the future came up.

"Im scared for the future." Marinette sighed.

Damian looked over at her and raised an eyebrow. "Why? What's there to be scared about?"

Marinette traced circles in the grass. "Growing up. Like what would I even do? Will we even be friends anymore? Don't even start about the lovey dovey stuff."

Damian rolled his eyes. "It's not that scary. Just plan out the future."

Marinette huffed and turned to him. "Oh yeah? If you aren't so scared of it... then what do you have planned?"

Damian paused for a moment. He looked at Marinette with a thoughtful expression. "I'm gonna marry you."

Marinette's eyes widen as she slightly blushes. "I-um.... What?"

"I meant what I said." Damian says as he turns back to the sketch he was drawing.

Marinette starred at Damian. She huffed and crossed her arms. "How am I supposed to marry you? You're shorter than me!"

Damian shrugged. "What do I have to do to marry you?"

Marinette sighed. "Grow taller. Maybe if you are taller than me then I'll marry you."

Damian smirked as he held out his hand. "Deal. Don't be so surprised when I'm taller than you."

Marinette shook Damian's hand and stuck out her tongue. "You wish."

~

The two went on with their day after that. Though it wasn't much later during that year that the Dupain-Chengs has to share some bad news.

~

12 year old Marinette dashes straight to the Wayne manors door as soon as her parents pull up to the place. She knocks on the door impatiently as she tries to hold back her tears.

As soon as Alfred opens the door Marinette starts talking.

"Alfie? Do you know where Dami is? It's an emergency!" Marinette says.