Chapter 24

“I want to talk to hyunjin: Alone.”

As soon as Mrs. Lee said this, it was as if a bomb had been dropped in the room. Everyone went silent at the same time and you could literally feel the awkward tension in the air. But Felix was having none of it and therefore tried to protest a bit but he stopped when his dad reminded him of what the doctor said earlier.

“Is it really necessary for us to leave?” asked Felix

“I want to talk to hyunjin. So, you all must leave for a bit.” Said his mom sternly

“Will you be okay?” asked Felix turning his attention to hyunjin

“I will be okay Felix. Don’t worry.”

After pondering over it for some time Felix thought it would be wise to leave the room for now without any further questions. After everyone made their way out of the room, Felix closed the door after giving hyunjin one last glance.

“Please sit down hyunjin. It’s going to be a pretty long talk I would say.”

“Yes ma’am.” Answered hyunjin while bringing a chair and sitting beside the bed

“You might be wondering why I asked to speak with you alone but don’t worry, it's nothing serious. I just wanted to know something’s about you.” said Mrs. Lee

“Please go ahead. I will answer everything.”

“Then my first question would be, why do you like Felix?” asked Mrs. Lee in a serious manner

Although hyunjin expected questions about his job, family, and all those stuff, he didn’t expect such type of questions from Mrs. Lee. He was a bit stunned to speak but after recollecting his thoughts, he started to answer her questions.

“Do I need a specific reason to like him? I don’t think there are any specific reasons. I just like him for who is and somehow it happened without me even realizing what was happening. So there is no specific reason.” Answered hyunjin truthfully

“You said that you don’t think that anyone should like someone for one specific reason. Why is that?”

“Because I think that if someone likes another person due to only one reason, their love is bound to change, maybe even end someday. People keep on changing over time and maybe after some time that reason which made someone fall in love with the person will not be there.”

“It’s pleasant to listen to you hyunjin. You are an intellectual I would say.”

“Thank you, ma’am, but those are just my thoughts. I don’t expect everyone to understand that.”

“Then tell me hyunjin, when or how did you fall in love with my son?”

“I actually met him four years back but I cannot really pinpoint the moment when I fell in love. Maybe it was from the beginning, maybe later. But I do know when I became aware of my feelings. It was during the dating scandal of Felix and although I shouldn’t have felt it at that time, somehow I felt jealous over the small possibility of that being true. I was also worried about him and I also wanted to protect him. I think that is when I started to question my feelings for him.” Rambled hyunjin who didn’t get any follow-up questions after this.

All this while, hyunjin had been looking towards his feet to calm himself down in this situation. After some time, he felt a pair of hands-on top of his own and he looked up for the first time to see Mrs. Lee smiling at him lovingly.

“I don’t think I need to ask any more questions to you. I am now aware of the authenticity of your feelings and I don't doubt it anymore .” Said Mrs. Lee before continuing again

“You know, I always feel guilty towards Felix. He was not able to do things that teenagers of his age do because he was busy practicing in his room. That guy went through so much trouble in another country to get to where he is and I have seen it all. Sometimes I ask myself if it was me who pushed him away to that land. I want him to lead a happy normal life as everyone else and not be scrutinized over every single thing.”

“Please don’t blame yourself. Felix wouldn’t like it. He wanted to be a singer and therefore he went to that faraway country because he wanted to pursue his dreams. I don’t think you know but Felix is proud of his parents because they let him pursue his dreams without any resistance and he is lucky to have such parents who love him for who is.”

“Thank you for saying that hyunjin. I know it is too much to ask from you, but I hope you take care of him. He pretends to be the strong tough guy but you also know that he is soft inside. He doesn’t know what to do when constantly living under the spotlight and it honestly bothers me. I don’t want him to degrade his mental health like many other celebrities and do something which shouldn’t be done. Please take care of him for me.” said Mrs. Lee with a single drop of a tear running down her cheeks.

“Don’t worry ma’am, I will take care of him. It goes without saying.” Answered hyunjin with a reassuring smile

“You also know that your relationship is not going to have an easy road. Your relationship will be tested more than others and it will be under scrutiny for a long time but I hope that you both take care of each other and never let go of each other. You both are good people, who deserve a life full of love and warmth. I hope you remember that.”

“It will be alright ma’am. We will be alright. I promise to never let go of his hand even if he lets go of me. Even if his future is with someone else, I will still love and care for him as I do now and that is not going to change. And I also promise that I will protect your son.”

“Thank you, hyunjin. Now I have another request which I will like to ask from you.” said Mrs. Lee with a small smile on her lips

“What is it, ma’am? Please tell me.”

“Now that you are dating Felix and I also accepted you, I would like you to call me mom rather than ma’am. It sounds so formal if you address me like that.”

“Oh, I don’t know if it’s appropriate for me.” said hyunjin while fiddling with his fingers

“I am permitting you. go ahead and try calling me mom.”

“I will do that if you ask so, Mom.” Said hyunjin a bit awkwardly but it was surely a touching experience for him.

He hadn’t called anyone mom for the last four years and now that he did, it remind him of his mother who had died. But before he could dwell on the feeling for a bit more, he was brought back to the reality by Mrs. Lee.

“I think we should invite all of them inside. I am sure they all are worried sick right now about our talk.” Said Mrs. Lee with a chuckle

“I also think so.” Said hyunjin while laughing and standing up from his chair to open the door for everyone. But just as he was about to turn the handle, he stopped in his tracks as Mrs. Lee called out to him from the back.

“Remember the promise you made to me hyunjin. Remember it at all times.”

“I will remember it, mom. I will.” Said hyunjin before turning around and turning the handle a little while saying something to himself in a whispering voice.

“I will love him forever. I promise.”