Chapter 14 - Mysterious Visitor

It was a quiet night. A light breeze filled the air making everyone know that autumn was near. Some leaves whose colors were already painted red and yellow by the season - were flying through the streets.

Chat looked at the Moon smiling. After all the things that happened, he was desperate for this night ride. As always it made him calm down.

Flying over Paris, looking at the street lights, watching people doing their causal works - these things always helped him clear his mind.

Whenever he felt down or overwhelmed with work, Chat just held up his staff and took a ride through the whole city even when it wasn't a patrol with Ladybug. He loved the freedom his costume give to him. Although he was wearing a mask, this was the only time when he could be himself without anyone judging or controlling him.

He sat down on the edge of La Pont Alexandre III and looked at the Seine. He watched as the breeze created small waves on the river. He watched as the streets lights appeared on the water mirror - dancing in sync with the waves. Chat could hear a soft song playing on the river - giving him shiver down on his spine.

"Little Kitty on a roof all alone without his lady.." Chat was singing quietly.

It was his favourite song that could make him feel like all of his problems didn't exist at all. He didn't know where he had heard this melody for the first time, still, it had been playing in his head since he was a toddler. But no one sang this to him. Not even his mother nor his father. Still, it sounded so familiar to him, he was somehow connected to this song.

Just as he was continuing the lullaby, he heard the clock hit twelve. It was midnight.

"I have to go back" he sighed as he pulled himself up and - pushing his staff up to the sky - he vanished in the air.

This ride was everything he needed today. It helped him think through tonight's events.

It was hard but he was able to come up with a solution - or rather a compromise - for his situation. He will marry Marinette but that's all. There will be nothing between them nor he will make her fall in love with him. It will be just another arranged marriage that was used to be held among the nobles.

As for him being a king, he had no idea nor interest to reach that goal. He didn't like the thought of Marinette becoming a queen - he still thought that she was incompetent for that role - but there was nothing he could do against it. Maybe he could make a change in the kingdom as only a duke too.

And as for his lady, he decided to tell her everything.

Of course not his name or any other personal things that can make her realize who he was in real life. But Ladybug deserved to know about this marriage. He would tell her that it was something neither he nor the girl he was marrying had control over. But he would make sure to her that there would be absolutely nothing between them.

He just hoped Ladybug would understand his situation and wouldn't end whatever they had in the first place.

"Then there would be nothing else for me to lose," he thought.

Finally, he spotted the Palace and landed among the cherry tree's foliage that was standing in front of his balcony. He used to wait for some minutes to make sure no one saw him before going back to his room and transforming.

Just as he was about to climb up from his hiding spot, his body stiffened.

A door yawned open and Marinette appeared on her balcony.

"Pawn it!" he whispered as he immediately went back and hid among the branches - hoping Marinette didn't spot him.

"Why am I not surprised that I am once again being stuck in a situation like this?" he scoffed. "I just hope she'll go back soon!"