Chapter 43 - A Shoulder To Cry On

It was a lovely, and surprisingly warm day despite it being autumn. As the sun made its way up to the sky - illuminating Paris with the classic colors of this season - the last flock of swallows woke up in their nests. The nestlings looked at their parents gratefully as they opened their small beaks - waiting for their breakfast. After the adults made sure that everyone was fed well, they flew up - gesturing and chirping loudly - and told their chicks that it was time to move south. 

Somewhere deep in the capital city, a tiny creature watched the birds behind a large window of the Palace. Finishing the morning airing, the kwami grabbed the handle with her tiny palms and closed the window. Landing on her owner's desk, she sighed and waited for the Princess. It didn't take much time until the bathroom opened and a dark-haired girl shuffled out. She looked quite disheveled. Her messy hair was spread out like a fan all around her back and some of her locks even made their way to her face - blocking her view completely. She brushed her hair in front of her eyes on purpose - to make it less obvious that she wasn't feeling well - but it didn't seem to work out the way she planned. On the contrary, her appearance turned out to be the perfect presentation of miserableness. 

Closing the bathroom door behind her, she let out a breath and, stepping to her baldachin bed, sat down on its edge. 

"Do you really want to go?" the red creature asked as she was staring at the Princess with concerned eyes.

Marinette put her hands on the blanket and strongly grabbed the edge of the bed as she tried to gather herself. Glancing at the kwami with her icy blues - that had been tearful ever since she woke up in the morning, she mumbled, "I have to attend, Tikki. It's my duty to be there. Even if...even if the conference is today." she shifted her gaze at the calendar that was placed on her table and immediately looked away. 

"Are you sure? I'm worried about you, Marinette. " Tikki said as she looked at Marinette's fidgeting hands. "I don't think you're in a state to go."

"I'm gonna be fine." the Princess whispered frustratedly and - forcing a wryly smile on her face - she stood up. No matter how hard she tried to resist, her gaze automatically shifted to the red book lying on her desk. Wiping away a single teardrop that started rolling down on her face, she sighed, " ..I have to be strong. "

Last night, before falling asleep, Mari believed that she could get through this day easily. Considering that Luka was here and was planning to stay for some weeks, moreover, it seemed like she and Félix were on more or less good terms - for the first time -, she was certain this day wouldn't be so hard for her. 

And yet the moment her eyes opened as the sun rays touched her skin, she immediately remembered this date and all of the bad things that had happened to her in the past. It was like getting a cold shower on a winter day.

She felt weak, devastated, and lonely. Completely lonely. But at the same time, she didn't want to be around people. This loneliness wasn't something that most people could understand, nor they could help her to face. This was a feeling only those persons could comprehend who had experienced it before too. But the only one Mari knew, that went through the same pain as her, was unable to comfort her. He had always let her deal with this day on her own - saying that she was old enough to bear something like this without any help. Maybe he was right, maybe he wasn't, Mari couldn't tell. She just knew that despite the years that had passed already, this day was still a torture that hunted her dreams.

Letting out a groan, she shook her head to clear her mind. She walked to her mahogany wardrobe and opened it. 

All of a sudden that blank expression on her face turned into a mixture of confusion and panic. "Something isn't right," she whispered - narrowing her eyes as she shifted her gaze through her dresses. Suddenly, her body stiffened the moment she spotted something.