Chapter 41 - A Subtle Feeling

The sound of cheerful talking and classical music reverberated from the grandiose ballroom to the courtyard and the streets of Paris - disturbing the peaceful autumn night. The vivid lights of the chandeliers were streaming through the arch windows - brightening the ballroom's balcony so much as if it was daylight, including a certain figure.

She was standing by the balustrade, focusing on the majestic Moon while her thoughts wandered around her long-lost mother. Deep in her thought, she didn't even notice as the door slowly opened and a dashing prince stepped out to the balcony. Spotting the Princess, he was about to head towards her when a cold breeze blew around them - making her little body shiver in her thin ball gown. Without hesitation, the Prince took off his coat and made his way toward her.

Still not being aware of his presence, Marinette almost let out a shriek the moment she felt a warm coat touching her skin. She immediately turned around only to face Félix himself. She watched with astonished eyes as the Prince gently placed his coat on her shoulders. Even though the lights, coming from the Palace, painted a yellow tone on both of them, Marinette's blushing face was clearly visible.

"Just, so you won't catch a cold." Félix explained - clearly bothered by something - and added, "It's already chilly outside. You should be more careful."

His gentle words, like a shocking experience, made the Princess paralyzed. It seemed a painfully long time until she could gather herself and muttered something that sounded like a "thank you.". Pulling the coat around her arms tighter, she immediately warmed up but couldn't calm down her racing heart. She felt embarrassed by the fact she didn't even notice his approach. He came so quietly like how a cat crawls up on a wall. The Princess had no idea when he stepped out of the balcony in the first place, she just hoped he didn't hear her mumbling on her own in the middle of the night.

Feeling the urge to break this strange tension between them, she looked at him, raising her eyebrows. "So how come you're here and not enjoying the ball? Just not missing my precious company already?" she spelled the last words with a teasing tone.

"Pfft. You wish, Princess!" Félix scoffed. "Although, I have to admit, your company is still better than being around those snobbish people."

"Awww if it isn't the best compliment I've ever got! I'm flustered!" Marinette sneered - pretending to be honored by his comment.

"Well, what can I say I'm a true gentleman tonight." the Prince grinned at her - proud of himself.

Marinette snorted as a reply but didn't say anything back. Instead, she shifted her gaze away from Félix's intense greens - that somehow seemed mesmerizing in the Moonlight - and looked at the city view in front of her. She stared at the streets - forcing herself not to glance back at the Prince when he stepped beside her and - following her example - leaned on the balustrade.

"So..just out of curiosity," Félix cleared his throat, after minutes of awkward silence that like an ominous shade, was lingering around them. "..what made you come outside? I thought you were having the time of your life with Mr. Bluehair." he rolled his eyes - gritting the last words through his teeth.

"You mean the crown prince of the South, Luka Couffaine?" Marinette scowled, surprised by his note.

"Yeah..that man," Félix grumbled to himself.

"And why do you care?" she tilted her head in his direction teasingly, "If I didn't know you, I would think you are jealous. "

Félix's eyes popped wide open and immediately looked away abruptly from the Princess. "Tsk. Don't be ridiculous!" he huffed frustratedly." Me? Jealous? Of what?" he sneered.

"Hmm." Marinette narrowed her eyes suspiciously and turned her face back to the view - confused by the Prince's odd reaction. He had been acting weird around her the whole night which she couldn't put anywhere. Throughout the years, she had gotten used to him being irritating, arrogant, or even condescending to her, but his current behavior was so unlike him. She could swear he was almost embarrassed around her a moment before and she had no idea what for.