Chapter 19 - Can We Stay Like This?

Laughing noises echoed through the halls - filling the mighty building with life - as Alya and Nino made their way to the entrance.

It was already late so they both could leave their work and spend their little free time together.

Ever since that certain first date happened, Nino kept seeing Alya whenever he had time or opportunity for that. Sometimes it was just tempting glances at each other when they crossed paths on the halls, or - just like now as well - they manage to meet up properly - exactly like on a date.

Although, they hadn't said it out loud - hell they didn't even admit it to themselves - but the two were already head over heels for each other.

Tonight was exactly one week since they had been seeing each other. To celebrate this "anniversary", they decided to sneak out to the garden and take a walk by the lake where no one could disturb them.

"Okay, I think no one spotted us!" Alya giggled as Nino opened the gate and let Alya exit first.

"I think so!" Nino smiled as he closed the door. "But, let me tell again, why do we have to keep this a secret? "he frowned.

Making their way towards the lake - that was on the end of the garden - Alya replied." You know why, silly! Those who work in the Palace can't be seen together! Even if we aren't nobles. Technically, we're breaking the law, my Captain! "Alya winked at Nino and left a kiss on his cheek that reddened the moment her lips touched his skin.

"It's shameful of me that I like this fact, isn't it?" Nino smirked mischievously as he pulled Alya closer to himself and placed his arm around her shoulders protectively.

"Oh, but Captain! How can you say that? " Alya teased him. "Here you are, breaking the law with a gorgeous woman!"

"Well, you can't blame me for wanting to spend all my free time with this certain beauty!" Nino grinned at her.

Alya - looking up at Nino -, leaned closer and pressed her lips onto Nino's who immediately kissed her back.

"Soo.." Alya started - her face remained flushed for the upcoming minutes - "What have you planned for this time?"

"Actually.." Nino grabbed the back of his neck awkwardly, "I.. I wanted to give you something."

Seeing Alya's face lightening up with curiosity, Nino chuckled. "Close your eyes first!"

Alya raised her eyebrows suspiciously but seeing the softness in his eyes - she closed her eyes.

Nino - making sure that his girl really couldn't see a thing - pulled out a little wooden box.

Alya could feel that Nino stepped behind her back and - by brushing away Alya's hair - he placed a necklace on her and left a soft kiss on her neck - making her blush.

"Okay, you can open your eyes now." he smiled.

Alya eagerly hold up the necklace and after noticing what it was, she gasped and watched it frozen.

The pendant formed a fox's tail, its colors were orange and white and its edge was covered by gold. It was gorgeous, Alya had never seen such jewelry before but that was not why she looked at it with wide eyes.

"You, you don't like it?" Nino asked concerned, realizing that this was not the reaction he expected. "I.. I remembered that you told me how your father used to call you Foxy and how you always took a walk in the near forest to watch foxes. I know he's not with you anymore since the war but I thought.."

"It's perfect," Alya interjected, wiping away a tear that started falling on her cheeks. "Nino, this... This is everything to me. I," she stopped and without further thinking, she threw herself at him to hug this amazing man.