Chapter 48 - Change of Heart (Part 1)

The next day

Saying goodbye had never been Marinette's favorite part when it came to reuniting with old friends. She hated it. She really did because she could never know when they would see each other again. It could take weeks, months, or even years without hearing a word from them.

It had been almost two weeks since the ambassadors of the South Kingdom had arrived at the Palace and now it was time for them to return to their realm, including Luka as well. When Lady Rossi came to the library yesterday - announcing that the Crown Prince requested to see her, Marinette perked up - eager to see her friend again -, only to hear from Luka himself that - obligated to fulfill his father's will -, he must return to the South.

They could barely take an hour-long walk in the courtyard, trying to use their last opportunity to spend some quality time together -, before Luka headed back to the South Wing and started the preparations for the long journey ahead of him.

And now they were already in front of the Palace, most of his men by their horses - ready and fresh to head the road to their kingdom. Since it was a special, grandiose event of the year, even the King himself made an appearance to say farewell to the envoys and the Crown Prince.

Gabriel was standing by the entrance, Natalie and Amelie by his left side while the royal couple was on his right. After his speech about how delighted he was to have the ambassadors here and how much he hoped that the alliance between the two nations would be stronger than ever - only Marinette and Félix could see through his lies and hear the frustration and concern radiating from his voice -, he subtly nodded and headed back to the building.

Expressing their gratitude toward the King, the envoys bowed then - turning away from the Palace -, hopped on their horses and waited for the Crown Prince's sign to go.

The Princess watched with a painful expression as Luka waved at her with a wry smile and turned to his stallion.

Just as he was about to get on his horse, Marinette clenched her fists and surged forward to him. Maybe it was inappropriate of her, maybe it was a bond and not a proper act to commit but she couldn't care less. Hugging him one last time was all she could think of at that moment.

Taken by surprise for a moment, Luka composed himself instantly and closed her into his embrace as he rested his head on top of hers.

He was really upset and devastated. He didn't want to go back just yet when he could scarcely spend time with the Princess after not seeing each other for months. Knowing how things were going at the moment, and how urgently his father wanted him to return, he wasn't sure if he could pay another visit shortly.

Seeing Marinette again recalled his memories of their past years - his hidden feelings for her came to the surface again -and made him yearn for more time together. If only he didn't have to travel back last summer. If only he would have been brave enough to ask that question to her...if only she didn't get married to that man.

A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he pushed these thoughts aside and - looking up from her shoulder - peered straight into the eyes of the said man. Unlike the King and the other members of the Palace, the prince didn't return but stayed outside. He was standing in a firm pose, his hands folded in front of his chest, and darted with his eyes in their direction.

He seemed exasperated.

Remembering their previous interaction in one of the hallways, Luka felt uneasy about him and wasn't sure if he was good enough for Marinette. Although, it was apparent that the Prince cared for her but it was still an arranged marriage between them for nothing but political reasons and Luka knew exactly well that the Princess with her romantic heart wished to marry someone by no other thing but love.