Chapter 46 - Obliviously Obvious

The next day

When the last guard stood into his position at the gates - changing the members of the night shift -, he nodded contentedly and headed back to the Palace. As he reached the building, the doormen saluted to him and let him through the entrance. 

Even though he had already made sure that everyone was in the right place both outside and inside of the Palace, he decided to go through the halls one more time. He was always a perfectionist when it came to his duties, so he intended to check everything with his own eyes.

Making his way through the labyrinth of hallways, he - totally unintentionally - turned in a certain direction, approaching the stairways. Although he convinced himself that the only reason he headed right up to the second floor, was to check on the Prince as well - just as he used to do on every second day of the week whenever he had the opportunity to do so -, he had to admit that maybe there was an ulterior motive of his early visit. A certain brunette to be more precise. 

Even though, he knew they decided - or rather, Alya made him accept - that they would only see each other during the night, in order to keep their relationship a secret, but he couldn't help but feel miserable if he couldn't start a day without seeing his future wife. Even if he was aware that his girl is gonna be mad at him.

But at least this time he had a more legitimate reason to see her since he did plan to visit Félix. Especially after hearing very interesting news from the guards about him and the Princess.

As he reached the last steps of the stairway and was about to turn right to the West Wing, a glaring pair of hazel eyes stopped him. They belonged to a beautiful lady who was leaning against the wall and - by the looks of it, -  was expecting his arrival. Her arms were crossed before her chest while her gaze was focused strictly on the man in front of her.

"If I recall well, we agreed to only see each other when no one is around, precisely at night." she seethed through her teeth - trying to remain serious around him, but the subtle laughing lines at the edge of her mesmerizing eyes betrayed her, telling the Captain that she didn't mind his visit at all.

"I have no idea why you are telling me this." Nino suppressed his smile, looking at her innocently. "I'm just meeting with the Prince as usual."

"Yeah yeah, sure you do!" Alya scoffed and shook her head - failing to remain serious around the man she was head over heels in love with. Rushing to him, she buried herself into his warm embrace.

Nino immediately hugged her back, holding her body tightly that fitted perfectly into his embrace. A brief moment later, he gently hooked her chin with his finger, bringing it up to look at him, and pressed his lips against hers. A quiet groan escaped her while her soft hands entwined around his neck in response and pulled him closer to herself. The Captain instantly answered by deepening the kiss, tasting those peach-tasting lips that had been possessing his mind ever since their first encounter.

Feeling her so close to him, hearing her beating heart, savoring her lips, his fingers getting lost in her gorgeous, curly hair always made him realize how lucky he was to have this woman. He didn't deserve her, he knew that very well but he had made himself a promise that no matter what life throws at them, he will always protect her, cherish her, and treat her as if she was the last flower in the Kingdom.

Because for him, she indeed was.

Felt like an unfairly short of time, when Alya broke their kiss and - pulling him away-, she took some steps backward.

"Come on Captain, we have work to do," she announced with the brightest smile Nino had ever seen. "Let's hurry and wake up our beloved royal couple!"

"Nah, you can't do this to me! Just stay with me a little more!" Nino pouted with begging puppy eyes, feeling it utterly unfair that they already had to be separated from each other.