Chapter 27: Wind Of Change

"So, let me get this straight!" Alya raised her eyebrows as she was walking beside Marinette. It was another casual day when they spent the morning in the library when the servants informed the Princess about her next duty: the royal visit to Paris. They set everything up - including the horses and the guards who would follow them - and were waiting for Marinette's arrival. after they both left the library.

They were supposed to go already but - as usual - Mari was running late. Grabbing the edged of her skirt - to make her way faster - she rushed through the corridors with Alya - while they continued their conversation. Mari was just about to tell Alya everything she had learned about her mother as - regarding the madness of the last few weeks with the breakup, her fall, and the wedding - she had completely forgotten to tell her friend.

"So, you're saying that your mother, our queen, had healing powers." she tried to comprehend all of the things Mari weighed at her.

"Yes, but without using any miraculouses. We already knew that she, or rather, her family owned the ladybug miraculous but she had never used it." Marinette stated. "I think, maybe She was born with this ability and that's why she didn't need anything more."

"Uh-huh." Alya frowned, "And so thanks to her power, she was able to heal you and keep you away from that mysterious illness, she had written about in her notes. Which said the illness was not only affected you two but Paris as well.. "

"Exactly. But.. I still can't understand as I don't really have memories about that time." Mari scowled - trying to remember anything from those periods with no success.

"But, if I understand right then this weird sickness of yours, isn't there anymore. So, I guess, everything is fine then, isn't it?" Alya shrugged.

"That's what I was thinking too! But.. You know.. the thing is.." Mari sighed, "I'm not so sure about this anymore. Ever since that night happened.." she stopped, recalling the events of the stormy night when she had lost her consciousness for days.

Normally, Mari would have thought it was just an unlucky fall - thanks to Mrs. Clumsiness - that made her unconscious for that long. She would have already forgotten this ever happened in the first place if she didn't read her mother's notes before.

But, after constantly recalling the events of that merciless storm night, she doubted everything - even herself. The princess could still remember that ominous feeling she had before fainting. It felt like some mysterious power that possessed her body - making her lose all of her remained strength which eventually led her to lose her consciousness.

Mari knew maybe she was overreacting this - after all, she was exhausted, her clothes were completely drenched and her body was ice-cold by the time she fell and Tikki left her to bring help. (Which eventually came from the most unexpected person). So, after recalling all of this madness, some part of her believed this weird feeling was nothing but her imagination, a hallucination caused by the fever.

But, deep inside her, something kept echoing to her a question: "what if it's the same thing mum has written about?"

And this thought seemed to not leave her mind, no matter how hard Mari tried to avoid it.

She wanted answers.

For her biggest luck, Hawkmoth seemed quiet these past days - making her lonely patrols shorter and filling her free time with nothing but searching.

Spending the days and nights with useless research started her to lose hope. She had never wished to see Chat and have a talk with him as much as now. If only she could meet with him! She was sure with her kitty's help, they could have already found out where this mysterious thing came from and why. However, she had to realize, that without him, she was completely lost. Mari had started to understand now, how much this cat meant to her - always being there for her, always supporting her, and even when he couldn't do anything to help ladybug out, he would comfort her - making all of her insecurities and doubts vanish.