Chapter 52 - Fragile Promises

"How generous of you to honor me with your presence." Amélie's mouth twitched when the Prince entered his study alongside his mother's lady's companion. Amélie was standing behind Félix's desk, her hands folded over her chest. 

"What are you doing in my room?" the Prince shut the door behind him. A frown creased his face when he noticed some unknown papers on his desk. "I thought I'd found you in your suite."

"Yours just seemed more convenient to me." his mother shrugged.

"And why is that may I ask?" Félix rolled his eyes and only took one step toward his mother - making it clear to her that he didn't intend to stay for too long.

"Simply, because your room is situated far enough to prevent any possibility of being overheard." Amélie's lips curled up for a split second before returning to her usual impassive expression. Leaning toward the table, she held up a tea cup and sipped from her tea. "Why don't you take a seat and have a drink with me? I've already ordered mine..."

"Cut the act, Mother. I know you didn't request me here just for tea, considering how urgently you asked to see me. " Félix's frown deepened.

His mother had never invited him for just a drink. If she ever wanted him to visit her, she was always led by an ulterior motive. The Prince was certain that this time was no exception either, judging by those papers in front of her that looked like reports to him.

"It surely is painful when a mother has to hear that his own son isn't willing to have tea with her." Amélie sighed dejectedly and sipped from her cup, her expression was telling though she wasn't astonished by his words. 

The Prince, ignoring his mother's reaction, took some steps away from the door and leaned against the wall. "So? What did you want to discuss with me?"

"Very well." Amélie put the cup back on the table, acknowledging that Félix wasn't in the mood for her chit-chat, and waved dismissively at Lady Rossi.

Subtly bowing with her head, Lila stepped out of the room - pulling the door behind her just enough to look like as if it was completely closed, while she pressed herself against the wood and listened to the conversation eagerly.

Constating that they were alone, Amélie reached for her papers and, as if she didn't read them a couple of times already, read them all over again, declaring, "I'm sorely disappointed, son."

"How unfortunate!" the Prince sneered, not surprised as this wasn't the first occasion he had to hear these words from his mother. Feigning his curiosity, he raised his eyebrows, "What did I do this time, would you enlighten me?"

"The better question is what you didn't do!" she retorted. "Looks like you already forgot about our agreement. Your marriage with the Princess happened for one purpose! For you, to become a king! " taking a glimpse of the papers, she clenched them in her grasp as she continued, "But what did I have to hear?! That despite our plan, you not only stood up in front of Gabriel on her behalf but even helped her to prevail in political meetings! Thus, now more than half of the government members are convinced of her potential of becoming our future ruler!" 

To the Prince's luck, she was blinded by her frustration enough at that very moment to not notice as his lips curled in a smile after hearing this news.

"..on top of that, " Amélie gritted through her teeth, "I've had to find out today that the two of you spent a whole day in the streets without guards, or even without informing anyone about it! How could you be so irresponsible?! And what if something were to happen to you?! No one could have gone to save you two!" shaking her head in dismay, she leaned on the table. "What got into your mind to do something so reckless?! Or was it the Princess' doing?"