Chapter 40 - Give me a sign

People often think that events in high society like a carnival, royal picnics, or a ball were nothing but just a spectacle for showing the nobility's wealth, and an opportunity for opulence.

But there are rare cases when the outcomes of these events could affect even a relationship between two realms - either for their advantage or disadvantage. 

That night at the Autumn Ball turned out to become one of these rare cases as every guest, who weren't dancing,  gathered around the dance floor to watch a certain pair. The princess of the North - or more precisely - of the French Kingdom, and the crown prince of the South Realm. Even if it was far from the truth in real life - as the two nations didn't have an unclouded relationship, to say the least -  but their dancing together became just the perfect representation of the alliance between the South and the North.  It was diplomatic tactics like this that could pour oil on the troubled waters - showing the equality of the two Kingdoms, especially for those who weren't keen on the terms of the peace treaty.

Although according to tradition, every ball's official opening had to happen with the current royal couple, it wasn't unusual that the pair would switch partners after the first dance ended. They usually would do that mainly for political reasons - for example, to ensure confederacy between the nations - or just to blend with the other members of the high society. 

The dance between the future rulers of the North and the South Kingdoms was very significant for both parties. Especially because it wasn't so confidential among people that - even though the war had ended for decades now - the tension still lingered between the two realms. 

Therefore, even the King himself seemed to be satisfied with Marinette's choice as he nodded slightly at Marinette - showing his approval.

It only took a brief moment until more and more couples stepped onto the dance floor - filling the ballroom with exhilaration. During the rounds of dancing, some even followed the Princess' example and blended with the other nations as well. It was perceptible how the hidden tension started to vanish among the people. Everyone seemed to have the time of their life as they flowed with the music.

Everyone, except one person. 

A young man was standing at one of the edges of the ballroom, behind the dancing pairs and the guests who were admiring them near the dancefloor. Arms crossed in front of him, his green eyes strained to focus on the couple in the center of the room. He seemed to be lost in thought as he didn't even notice the captain approaching him. 

"Just not something bothering you?" Captain Lahiffe grinned as he shifted his gaze between Félix and the Princess who had just started her second dance with the crown prince.

"Nothing." Félix declared - not taking his eyes off of the pair.

"Yeah, yeah sure." Nino shrugged entertained. "So your gloomy mood has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Princess is dancing with a handsome man. "

Félix just sent a death glare at him, replying,  "Tsk. I hope you're not being serious right now. I'm just not in the mood for this stupid ball. " he scowled, and added frustratedly,  "I could care less who she's dancing with."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that.. " Nino said and - immediately seeing through his friend - he decided to tease him a little. "They look quite good together, don't you think?"

"I guess..." Félix gritted through his teeth - glaring at the pair.

The Captain didn't say anything back, just watched the Prince - enjoying seeing him like this. He had no idea what was the reason for the Prince's obvious interest in the Princess out of nowhere - although he did think alongside Alya that they belonged together and only their difficult personality - or rather their insufferable behavior towards each other - was the one that complicated things between them.