Chapter 33 - You, Again?!

*Some minutes before*

Subtle steps echoed through the floors as Mari made her way toward the library.

Although it was still early in the morning, the sun was already up and lightened up the whole building. The Palace was already awake, hundreds of servants rushed through the corridors - starting their day.

As she walked through the halls, everyone - who crossed her way - bowed at the Princess who greeted them with a kind smile on her face. Marinette watched as they were vanishing at the end of the corridors with an envious look. She'd always felt jealous just by seeing these people doing their work without any worry in their life.

They didn't have to pretend and act like everything was perfect. They didn't have to be afraid of how their words and actions could affect others. They didn't have to worry about making sure their appearance are always immaculate and elegant. And most importantly, they weren't forced into marriages just to provide the safety of the Kingdom.

No. They didn't have to do any of that. Because they were free.

And sometimes, this freedom was all that Mari had ever yearned for. She would rather throw away her fortune and title and live in a small house with a man she truly loves, instead of living in a golden cage.

But, it was all just a hopeless reverie. A dream that would never come true.

Because if you are born into a royal family with a title that is worth more than yourself, you are forced to live your life according to others' wishes. If you have a title, you can't just run away and do everything as you please. In your case, you have to think about your reputation first and about your family and their fortune that must be protected at all cost.

But as for the Princess, she not only had to think about the Agreste's reputation, to maintain her royal family's status, but about the ones she had given up everything and would do even more sacrifice for: the common people of the Kingdom. The ones for she had made a promise to ensure their safety and a better life they deserved. Even if by doing this, she had to let go of everything that once was important to her.

And it was the hardest thing to do.

~~~

After some minutes - and self-torturing thoughts - later,  she finally reached the library's door and - grabbing the golden door handle - she entered the only place she had ever found peace before: the world of books.

The Princess took a deep breath - inhaling the inimitable scent that only old books could have - and let out a relieved sigh.

She really needed this alone time for her now. She had to be on her own even if only for some hours to gather her thoughts and to constantly remind herself why in the first place was she doing all of this. And what was a more perfect place for this than the Royal Library?

Reading was always the only thing that could get her out of her squirrel wheel, out of this madness called life. Picking out a new story - choosing it because of its pretty cover or its captivating title - and reading it nonstop was her favourite activity, the only escape. Reading had always helped her - even if only for a moment - to forget her problems, her duties, everything that could make her feel miserable.

She often dig herself into the stories, imagining that she was a part of the stories, the female lead who would fight for love and peace in a world of magic and dragons or anything out of the ordinary or even supernatural that just made the stories even more immersive for someone who had been living in a golden cage, controlled by others in her entire life - without truly seeing the world around her.