Chapter 53 - Shattered Harmony

*An hour ago*

Somewhere deep inside the Royal Palace, in one of the hallways, a brunette was walking determinedly. She was relieved to notice that the halls were less busy than usual at this time of the day. No royal guests, no envoys, nor other people with high status visited the Palace during such unpleasant weather. The hallways and corridors were vacant - only a few members of the staff appeared sometimes.

She loved the rain. 

On days like this, the usual vigorous colors of the world - that always sickened every fiber of her being - lost their strength and put on their faded, greyish clothes instead.

It wasn't the sole reason she liked this weather though. It was rather because it somehow affected not only the environment but even the people around her. Less laughter, less cheerfulness filled the air on these days, as well as less joy could be seen on people's faces as their mood became gloomy as the clouds up to the sky. Only on her face could anyone spot a smile or rather a grin that was widened than on any other day.

Such pleasant thoughts occupied her mind as she turned to the staff stairway and walked downstairs to the servants' quarters. Already knowing her way well, she strolled through the corridors - occasionally turning left or right - until she reached a hall that seemed darker than the previous ones. It was the least used by the royal staff members, its rooms hadn't been dwelled for a while.

And therefore, it was a perfect place for secret meetings.

Reaching the end of the hallway, a medieval-styled,  yet elegant wooden door appeared before her eyes. Stopping right in front of it, she glanced back behind her shoulders - making sure no one noticed her heading this way - and opened the door.

Just like any other room for the help, this one also consisted of a bedchamber, a cabinet, and a wardrobe, nothing more.

It didn't contain anything unusual, except a mysterious figure who was standing by the window. His hands were resting on his back while he was staring at the rain.

Noticing Lady Rossi's presence, he turned his face to her direction before shifting his gaze back to the courtyard. 

A smile curled on the lady's lips as soon as she closed the door behind herself and stepped behind him. She wrapped her hands around his waist and put her head on his back.

"You're the first thing that I can be happy about today," she whispered. 

The man slowly turned around to face her, a smile stretching his lips at the sight of Lila. Hooking his finger under her chin, he lifted her head and pressed his lips against hers while he inhaled, "The feeling is mutual, darling."

"So, how is she doing?" the man asked some minutes later and pulled himself away a little so he could see her face.

"Not so pleased after I informed her about a thing or two that I've noticed recently.." Lady Rossi nibbled on her lip. "Although she still holds onto the belief that the Prince would eventually follow her orders, she's about to talk with him nonetheless." she rolled her eyes frustratedly before adding, "But I know it'll be completely useless. That idiot is head over heels for that irksome girl, I saw that in my own eyes."

"Just as I thought then." the man nodded crossly. "I told her right at the beginning that it would have been better to choose another way to assume authority. It should have been a piece of cake!" he turned his face away from her, a deep frown creasing his face as he continued, "But now we must take drastic actions if we want to succeed, considering that once that girl ascends the throne, we are doomed." he gritted through his teeth, his hand curling into a fist by frustration. "Had it not been for the Prince, I would have already taken care of that stupid brat! I hate that I can't do anything here ..."