Chapter 42 - Suffocating emotions

A large beech door opened, and several people exited the room including a blonde woman. Just as her son would follow her, a deep voice stopped him and ordered him to stay in there for a word. 

~~~

Most of the dukes and envoys of the Kingdom had already left the hall, by the time the Prince tore the door open and stormed out from the conference room. Shifting his gaze back and forth - desperately searching for someone -, he took a deep breath and shook his head after not spotting them. 

Rapid steps echoed through the corridors as he made his way through the ministers, that stayed in the Palace after the meeting, and ignored, or rather not even noticed their greetings towards him - as his mind was occupied by messy thoughts. 

Messy thoughts, about a certain woman. 

A woman, who he thought he'd figured out on their first encounter. A woman who he had always looked down on. A woman, who always made his every day difficult but who once saved his life. But a woman, who he believed had changed for the best. A woman who he thought he had been misjudging ever since the first day they met. A woman who was in his mind constantly for the past weeks and who made his heart beat as it had never done it before. And a woman..

..who deceived him. 

Letting out a frustrated sigh, he rushed to the end of the gallery and turned right in the stairway's direction.

~~~

*A few moments before*

"..and what are the reports from the West?" the King asked as he crossed his arms in front of him. He was sitting by a large table full of the North ambassadors and the other members of the government. On his left side, Amélie and her son were sitting - papers and a quill in his hands as he was taking notes. On the King's right side, however, was an empty chair.

The Princess' seat.

Félix glared at the empty place that was shouting the absence of its owner and, taking a deep breath, turned back to his notes. 

"I'm afraid I couldn't bring any good news, Your Highness. " the duke of the west territory declared. "According to my sources, the illness reached another plow lands of us two days ago. We are worried that at this rate we won't be able to make the autumn sowing as the seeds would be affected in the infected areas. " the old man said and placed a scroll on the table in front of the King. "These are the latest notes of the crops that we could save in time. You can see, Your Highness that these amounts don't even take half of last year's profit. "

Félix glanced at Gabriel - waiting for his approval - and after the King gave him a slight nod - he pulled the parchment to himself and opened it. Taking a look at the notes, he grabbed one of his papers and started copying the numbers. His mother leaned closer to him and watched perceptively as the Prince scribbled down everything. Lifting her head, she exchanged a concerned look with Gabriel and waited for his response to this news.

Gabriel - trying to process all of the new information about the current state of the fields - clutched his forehead and slowly rose from his seat. 

Clearing his throat, he looked at the men in front of him. "Thank you for your attendance today. I'm ending today's meeting now. I will inform all of you about my decision later on. " he declared. "You may now leave." 

A strict expression was painted on his face as he watched his ministers gathering their things and bowing at him before exiting the room.

"My apologies My King, but I have to take my leave too. " Amélie stated with a charming tone. "I have to take care of a few things as well. "