Chapter 15

The next day, Delilah and I are preparing ourselves to go out

The next day, Delilah and I are preparing ourselves to go out. Violet decided to stay in and skip, so Caleb is going to join us instead.

Kyle is staying in as well, calling with his girlfriend and dedicating time to her.

Delilah is downstairs already, waiting at the entrance of the hotel. She's just texted me, saying that the others are on their way.

I make my way downstairs, dressed casually for the day with a pair of jeans and an oversized sweater.

The hood of the sweater is up and, of course, I'm wearing my sunglasses that have become an armor for me.

As soon as the elevator doors open on the ground floor, I step out and head for the lobby. I see Delilah waiting at the entrance doors, on her phone.

The thing that has me halting, is the swarm of paparazzi standing outside. Even though I'm at a large distance from them, the sound of the camera's clicking and the flashes are surfacing to my mind.

Fuck. They're here. And they're going to see us exiting the hotel and bother us until they're stopped by security.

Placing a hand on top of my heart, I try to calm my beating heart and even out my breathing, which seems to result in the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm focusing too hard and I can feel myself starting to tremble. My breathing is quickening and my whole body is heating up at the mere thought of facing all the camera's and having them ask intrusive questions.

A surge of overwhelming panic floods me. My mouth is running dry and I feel weak all over my body.

I take a step back, only to bump in someone else. Two hands grasp my shoulder and turn me around to look into Caleb's eyes.

"Ella?" he asks, trying to look into my eyes and get a hold of me. "Ella, can you hear me? Focus on my voice."

He takes off my sunglasses to try and get my eyes to adjust to everything around me.

I lean my body against him, and he holds me against him as if he knows my body is about to give out.

"Ella, listen to my voice. You're having an anxiety attack."

I barely manage a nod and close my eyes, feeling myself getting light-headed.

"Look into my eyes, Ella. Focus on my voice. Take deep breaths. Just like that. Inhale, hold it and then exhale."

Caleb urges me to repeat, his fingers digging into my shoulders. My fingers are grasping the material of his jacket between them and my head is leaning on his chest.

"You got this. Just breathe, Ella, breathe."

I follow his instructions and take a deep breath, before letting go of it and repeating it. My hands are still clutching Caleb close, but the black dots in front of my eyes are disappearing and the coiled-up muscles in my back and shoulders are slowly loosening up.