Chapter 31

On the morning that we leave for Manila, I'm about to turn the corner of the lobby, when I spot Gabe standing near the entrance of the hotel

All the blood drains itself from my face as I see him, and I whirl back around the corner, pressing my back against the wall.

Placing a hand on my chest, I try to calm my beating heart as I feel myself slip into a panic attack.

My hands are shaking and my hands are sweaty.

I do what the others always tell me to do, and that's focusing on my breathing.

Fluttering my eyes open for a split second, I spot a dark figure heading my way.

The sight of Ares moves something in my chest, and my racing heart skips another beat despite all the negative feelings coursing through me.

The memory of laying in his arms returns back to my mind and takes away some of the anxious feelings and whispers.

My head on his chest, his hands on my back as he pulled me close to his body...

Now, his eyes are focused on me, on the way I'm on the verge of hyperventilating and trying to calm myself down.

To my horror, his eyes trail to around the corner and there's no doubt in my mind that he's spotting the man who caused this reaction from me.

How could he not? Gabe is still sporting the bruises I gave him on his face, and I'm seeing Ares connecting the dots in his head.

His jaw is clenched and I watch him take one step in my direction – or Gabe's direction, I don't know.

Slowly shaking my head, I silently plead with him not to do anything. But his strides don't stop, slow and threatening.

"Ella!" I distantly hear Caleb yell, and then I'm swooped in a pair of arms, and Caleb's familiar scent hits my nose.

Just like that, Caleb unknowingly stopped something terrible from happening.

When Caleb leads me around the corner, I don't see Gabe standing by the entrance anymore.