Chapter 57

chapter's song: fine line

I'm trapped in a glass box

I'm trapped in a glass box. And there's no way to escape. The silence in the box is deafening.

It's so loud that I'm hearing my own heartbeat instead and my breathing is too loud and disturbing for my ears.

Lifting my gaze, my breath catches in my throat when I lay eyes on my best friend.

"Violet."

My voice is loud. So loud, that I wince from it and groan softly.

But Vi doesn't hear me and walks over to a table, where Caleb stands. I see white powder lying on the table, in thin lines.

And Violet goes up to them, seeming tired. Her skin is pale and her lips are turning blue, as are her hands.

She doesn't look alive anymore.

And she's going to the table, where she bends down. "No!" I shout and hit the glass in front of me.

"Caleb! Do something!" I yell, but he doesn't. He remains unmoving, and so does Nick standing in the corner.

"She'll kill herself!" I scream and throw myself at the glass, desperate to break it. "Help her!"

But my screams are heard by only me and the little space I'm in. And no one does anything.

I wake up with a pounding heart, gasping for air

I wake up with a pounding heart, gasping for air. I'm disoriented and anxious.

"Hey," a soft voice comes from beside me, and I notice the embrace I'm in. "You're alright, baby," Ares promises, "I'm right here. You're okay."

"I'm not okay," I bring out and feel this sudden sense of anger consume me. "I'm not okay. Violet wasn't okay," I breathe and get out of bed, careful not to disturb the sleeping Milo at the corner of the bed.

"Elena, talk to me, baby," Ares pleads and comes to stand beside me.

"They knew," I breathe, my voice hoarse. My eyes are puffy, and it feels like I haven't stopped crying ever since I found Violet.