Chapter 22

Inspiration for the song lyrics in this chapter: Arabella by Arctic Monkeys

Inspiration for the song lyrics in this chapter: Trouble by Cage The Elephant

The next day, we're supposed to leave for Manchester.

Yesterday feels like it wasn't real. But my puffy eyes are proof of it. The fact that Vi is sleeping next to me – which she always does to calm me down – is proof of it.

I rummage through my back when I get up and pop a painkiller in hopes that my headache will leave.

Vi and I get dressed in silence and go downstairs in silence as well. My eyes go back down to my hands, and I see them all clean.

I can still feel the blood coating them, the red liquid seeping over my fingers as I try to apply pressure.

My heavy breathing and Ares' silence overcome me. The memory of my racing heart returns and what it felt like to feel helpless.

"We're downstairs," Vi whispers and takes my hand as we walk into the lobby with our bags slug over our shoulders.

I'm standing near one of the walls of the lobby, leaning against it while fiddling with my hair tie.

"I'll be right back," Vi whispers and then she's off to Caleb and Nick, probably to fill them in on what happened.

I'm looking into the distance when I feel another presence approaching me, and my heart skips a beat when I see it's Ares.

My lips part and on their own accord, my feet carry me towards him.

The words leave be before I can give them any thought. "Are you feeling better? How's your wound?"

I might sound a bit too caring, but I barely slept a wink last night and my worries were too strong.

His eyes are closed off when they look at me. "Better. The pills are helping with the bit of pain it causes me and the guys are making sure that I take care of it."

Relief floods through me, but I manage to not show it – I think.

"Good," I say, and I mean it. "Last night was..." Terrifying.

"Yeah," he agrees. "I remember you taking me to the hotel and helping me." His voice is quiet as if he dislikes it that I helped him.

I nod. "Yeah, it was the least I could do."

"You didn't have to do it."

I narrow my eyes at him. "A simple 'thank you', would suffice."

"I don't like owing people," is all he states.

Trying to remain calm, I lean in. "I don't expect anything in return," I assure him and tilt my head to the side, giving him a sarcastic smile before continuing.