Chapter 20

"What do you want?" I ask him

His eyes are inspecting my face. "Do you know what you want, Butterfly?" he fires back and tilts his head to the side.

I feel naked with him, and I don't like it for one second. I don't like to think that he could be able to tell all that I'm thinking.

All my twitching and blushing.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I frown.

"Do you know what you want?" he repeats. "Or who. One day it seems to be a model, the other an actor. What's it going to be next? One of your own bandmates?"

I raise my hand to slap him, but he's quick to catch my hand and hold it between his fingers. I ignore the tingling and clench my jaw together.

"You will respect me," I bring out in a low voice.

"I bet you'd praise your other, male bandmates for sleeping with the entire world. They'd be the man. But what does it make of me? Care to tell me?"

"I never implied that you were anything," he whispers, making me shiver at the sound of his voice.

"Your tone did," I whisper back. "What? You can sleep with everyone you want but I can't? Quite the hypocrite you are, don't you think?"

"Quite observant, aren't you?"

"I can say the same about you," I snarl back in anger.

"I just didn't peg you to be so carefree about all this," he says, and let's go of my hand.

"You don't know me," I reply, "so you're not entitled to form an opinion or judgment about me."

"I can recognize the kind of innocence you carry anywhere," he states confidentially. "Annoying but interesting to watch."

"You have a weird fascination with it," I remark and feel out of breath in his presence.

He hums and takes a step closer.

"Not weird," he says and raises his hand to stroke a strand of hair away from my face. "It's entertainment," he corrects with a smirk.

This son of a–

"Innocence is something fragile," he begins and corners me against the wall. "Something easy to feign. And easy to taint.  After one touch, it can be destroyed. Gone. A hint of darkness will be left and it will spread like a disease," he continues and leans down to whisper.

"And leave a craving for more.  A wanting that leaves one breathless. Innocence is something that draws people in. Captivates them."

My lips are parted as I listen to his words, my eyes fluttering closed at the proximity and his scent that I'm drunk on.

"They want to see more of it. Wonder how far it goes. How oblivious one is. The naïveté is fascinating and mesmerizing. Something soft. That must be kept alive."