Chapter 43

Kyle and I have established a beat that we created on a music app on his phone

Kyle and I have established a beat that we created on a music app on his phone. We need to bring it to life, but at least we have some sort of structure.

Tonight, it's our performance in Dallas and I'm just finished dressing up and putting my makeup on when I spot my parents backstage.

"Mom! Dad!" I yell in excitement and go to hug them.

We spoke briefly after the Grammys, and then they told me they were already flying out to Dallas to wait on me.

A part of me is glad to be back in the United States because that means it's easier to see my parents and family.

I loved seeing the world, but there's no place like home. And home is my family.

"Are you excited for tonight?" mom asks when we're done hugging. I nod. "I always am. These shows are what's so amazing," I grin.

"You look beautiful, Elena," dad compliments. I beam at him. "We've missed you so much."

"I've missed you, too," I whisper and swallow back the tears, "so much."

Mom's eyes go over my face and there's a crease forming between her eyebrows as she eyes me.

"Honey, is everything..."

I'm glad when Caleb comes into the embrace as hell, hugging my mom who he had a crush on the first time he saw her.

I don't need my mother analyzing me, because I know that I'll just break down crying and I'm not in the mood to talk about everything.

When it's almost time to go on stage, I look at my mom. "You ready for later?"

She nods but fidgets a bit in her spot. I send her a soft smile and press a kiss on her cheek.

"I'll be right there with you," I whisper and send sad a glance, "calm her down."

"No need to tell me. I've got my ways," he winks and presses a kiss on top of mom's head.

I go on stage with the others, and I get my dose of happiness when the lights go out and the screaming only gets louder.