Chapter 62

I hold my breath when I see my girl, dressed in a beautiful white gown

"You're staring," Kyle notices from beside me, following my gaze to Elena. We're seated at our table, at the Billboard Music Awards.

And my girl has been named Woman Of The Year. I couldn't be prouder if I tried.

Her family is seated at the table together with the other members of Icarus. And Elena has just gone on stage to accept the award and steps up to the mic.

I can see her fingers tightly holding onto the object, her knuckles nearly turning white. Even though she's the most beautiful and captivating person in the room tonight, I know how she feels internally and that she doesn't desire to be here.

She's been stressed the whole day and nearly canceled everything, wanting to stay in.

I would've joined her and almost told my team to shove it up their ass, when Elena changed her mind due to Imani convincing her to come and accept the award.

Imani is seated at the table with Icarus as well, together with Malcolm. And the proud look in her eyes mirrors mine.

Delilah chose to be backstage, even though Elena invited her as well. My hand tightens around my glass at the reminder of Delilah.

If it weren't for Elena pleading with me not to do anything, I would've had a long, long talk with Delilah. Not a pleasant one.

But that doesn't matter right now.

What matters is that Elena is standing on that stage, under scrutiny by everyone.

When her eyes find mine, I detect a hint of panic and I wink at her, mouthing 'You got this'.

She takes a deep breath and parts her lips.

"I had a whole speech prepared. But if I'm being honest, now that I'm here I forgot every single word."

The tension is broken by the chuckles and quiet laughter resounding everywhere.

"I wanted to say that it's an honor standing here," she continues, "but it doesn't feel like it. Because it feels like I stole this title from the woman this actually belongs to. My best friend, Violet."

She glances down at the award again and swallows. Everyone in the room has gone silent, especially at the mention of Violet who died only a month ago.

The loss of her is still fresh and lingers around the band.

I remember as soon as I got the news that a female member of Icarus was in critical condition, I lost my mind.

After knowing it wasn't Elena, I did let out a breath of relief. Said relief soon died its quick death when I realized it was Violet who had died.