Chapter 41

The after-party isn't as exciting as I thought it was going to be

It's just a bunch of celebrities drinking and talking. Making stupid jokes and keeping up appearances.

That's what I'm seeing, anyway.

And, getting high as well. I get this nasty feeling whenever I see some celebs disappear into a darker corner and come back with their pupils dilated while rubbing their noses.

Violet disappeared with Nick somewhere, I believe I saw them carrying a bunch of drinks with a mischievous smile on their faces.

And right now, Caleb is sporting the same smile as he leads me into the hallway.

"What's wrong?" I ask, and watch as he shows me a container with a shit-eating grin plastered on his face.

"Just brownies."

"You brought me out here to eat just some brownies?"

"Not regular brownies, Ella."

My eyes widen with realization as my brain registers what he's trying to say. Then, I close my eyes.

"Oh, for fucks sake."

"Just once!" Caleb insists and opens the container. The scent of chocolate wafts in the air, along with a tinge of weed.

"You know I don't like to use drugs," I frown. 

"Weed is... mild, I promise you. You'll get all happy and mellow, trust me."

"I can't believe you brought edibles to the fucking Grammys," I sigh and shake my head. "What's the point of getting high anyway?"

"It's funny! You'll be able to get your mind off of things and we can make fun of people and gossip. It'll feel like you're dreaming. I've done this before, so I'll be there right with you to guide you."

I glance down at the brownies and release a sigh.

Enjoy life to the fullest, Elena.

Together with Caleb, I secretly eat a brownie in the hallway. The taste of weed makes me scrunch my nose up a bit, but the strong taste of chocolate quickly overpowers it.

"I don't feel anything," I deadpan when I've finished it. "It was a small piece, will it do the job?" I frown.

Caleb throws his head back at my oblivion and laughs, before focusing his eyes on me again.

"It'll work in like an hour or so. Trust me, the little piece you ate will be more than enough."

When we enter the large room again, Caleb makes sure not to stray too far from me and keeps his eyes on me.

I'm gripping my glass of water tightly, waiting for the effect to hit even though it's been ten minutes.

"Your performance was amazing," Ren says as he walks up to me. I smile at his compliment.