Chapter 56

chapter's song: matilda

The soft breeze of the wind caresses my face, and when I slightly open my eyes, I'm met with the leaves of the willow tree we're lying under

It's a warm day today and we just came back from school. Now, we're just enjoying the sun instead of going home.

"I don't want to go home," Violet admits.

We're lying next to each other on the hill, buried in the grass, and our strands of hair getting tangled up by how close we are to each other.

"Why?" I ask her, and she lets out a long, deep sigh.

"My parents. They will see my grades and be mad at me. I could've done better."

"Vi... you're one of the best students I know. So what if you got a B today? You're a stellar student your parents should be proud of."

"But they're not," she whispers and I can tell she's fidgeting in her spot, nervous.

I met Vi when I was twelve, and now, three years later, I can't think of a better best friend.

She's always there when I need her. And I'm here for her. I've never had a friend like this, not even when I was younger.

Even though I've known her for three years, it feels like I've known her for a lifetime. As if we knew each other in a previous life.

And in those three years, I've gotten to know her smart and bright mind.

Freshman year in high school is always scary and hard, but Vi's parents have too many expectations.

"My parents are proud of you," I then try to soothe her, and am happy when a little smile breaks through her face.

"You're loved by us, Violet, we're your family. It's okay to not feel okay, just know you're not alone."

"I want to let go sometimes," she then admits, which prompts me to take her hand in mine and entwine our fingers.

"You can, and I'll be here to catch you."

"You'll always be my first family, Elena," she admits, "I'm so grateful to have you in my life. I always want you to be in it."

"You're my soulmate, Vi," I grin and press my lips to the back of her hand, "I don't ever want to lose you."

"I'll be here until the end of times, Elena."

"Until the end?"

"Till the end."