Chapter 53

THREE YEARS AGO

THREE YEARS AGO

I take another inhale of my cigarette as I exit Maya's place, walking down the porch until I reach the stone wall.

Maya's dorm is in the center of San Francisco, and the streets are pretty busy today. Especially since it's the beginning of summer, everyone has time now.

The sun is glaring down at me mercilessly and I tilt my head back, exhaling the smoke.

Tension is coiling up all my muscles all over my body. The memory of Maya's body pressed up against me is still in my mind, but it did nothing to soothe me.

Being with her is easy. We make a good couple, so it only makes sense to everyone else and to us for being together.

I take another drag of my cigarette. I need a fucking drink. Lots of them. To forget the phone call and the sight of my mother.

That's what made me drive over to Maya in the first place. I needed to forget.

Forget the fact that my mother stood up to my father for the first time. Because he brought another woman home.

And for the first time, my mother knew her worth and started a fight over it. And that's when it turned physical.

He fucking laid his hands on her.

I resent him. I resent the other women he sleeps around with. Because he can't be loyal. Because he couldn't love the family he started.

I'm repulsed by my own father and I vowed to never be like him.

I beat him up for touching mom. My knuckles are still bruised from the beating and if it wasn't for Kyle pulling me off of him, I don't know how far I would've taken it.

I toss the cigarette end on the ground and step on it with my shoe.

Then, I look up and see her.

The world seems to slow down for a second as I'm mesmerized by the sight of her.

A beauty as rare as a butterfly.

And for the first time ever, I feel movement in my numb body. My heart skips a beat.

She's riding on a bike, enjoying the sun and closing her eyes as the wind caresses her face. Her brown hair is loose, flowing behind her, and a serene smile curls around her lips. She looks carefree and so fucking stunning.

She has a youthful hue to her face and looks unreal, her features soft.

She's wearing a white sundress and waves at another girl, with brown hair that's darker with blue locks and is sitting on a bench.

The butterfly seems oblivious to her surroundings and her smile is blinding as she stops the bike and gets off it, hugging the other girl.

She's the exact opposite of Maya, and it's intriguing. Where Maya is bold and edgy, this butterfly is soft and gentle.