Chapter 23

As a child, I never liked storms

The loud thundering scared me and made me anxious, so I'd run into my sister's room and snuggle with her.

My parents never minded a storm. They'd just smile at each other and cuddle.

We'd spend time together in the living room and then they'd comfort me, while I watched them fall in love all over again during a storm.

Years later, and I can see why a storm would calm a person down.

It's still scary as shit, but it's peaceful when lying in bed and hearing the pouring rain hit your windows.

Yet, as the storm takes on tonight, I can't help but feel a bit uneasy.

To calm myself down, I went to the restaurant downstairs and ordered a bunch of desserts while calling with my family.

I didn't even care how I looked like, and even went to the restaurant dressed in some yoga pants, a top covered by an oversized vest that goes to just beneath my ass and my hair down.

Now, I just plan on laying in my room and attempting to play my guitar and write some songs – I feel like drawing or writing tonight.

I step into the elevator and lean against one of the walls. A sense of déjà vu takes over me when a large figure steps inside as well, his blue eyes catching mine.

We haven't spoken nor seen each other ever since Birmingham, where he just disregarded me after I helped him.

I reign in the questions about his health. I refuse to voice my worry.

He presses the button to his floor, and then we're coated in a thick silence as the elevator starts going up.

But the elevator doesn't even pass four levels, before it stops and jerks in its place, causing me to grab the railing for balance.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Ares groans. "What happened?" I ask, even though it's pretty obvious.

I feel a slight sense of panic starting to take over me. Looking at the panel, I see the button for emergencies.

"It's stuck, obviously," Ares responds, sarcasm dripping from his voice. We wait for another minute to see if the elevator will start moving.

When it doesn't, I don't waste another second and press the emergency button on the panel.

"You'd think that the Four Seasons wouldn't have this kind of technical difficulties."

"There's a storm outside, give them some slack," I scoff and shake my head. Only to freeze when the lights suddenly go out.

Well, fuck me.

Darkness envelops us. I can't see anything, only hear our breathing and grow conscious of my surroundings.