Chapter 26

I bring the lit cigarette to my lips and take another hit as I look over the city

I bring the lit cigarette to my lips and take another hit as I look over the city. Throwing my head back, I hold the smoke for a bit longer.

And embrace the numbness that comes with it. My shoulders relax when I exhale and let the smoke escape.

My phone beeps in my pocket, signaling that another message has come in. I usually leave my phone in my room, wanting to disconnect from the world whenever I search for the roof.

To block the world out while looking at it.

This time, I took my phone with me in case something happens. Courtesy of my bandmates that are scared something might happen ever since I got stabbed.

Dan is the father of the group and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Kyle is the playful one, and the one who needs most of the attention.

If it weren't for him, I would've been the front man of Dopamine instead of the drummer. But being the drummer appealed to me more, and now I can't imagine if it were reversed. Ryan talks a shit ton and keeps everyone busy.

Little shits that somehow made their way into my heart.

Looking down at my phone, I watch the messages from home pile themselves up. I was never good at replying, so I just stare at them while doing nothing.

Take in the information and promise myself that one day, I'll reply.

There are messages from people I used to hang out with, some old friends from high school.

A message from her.

I clench my jaw together as I see her name and close my phone again. I take another hit and hold the smoke in for longer this time. Until it burns.

The distance between us is good.

Our love was never meant to last.

There's a tug at my chest, a nasty feeling in the form of guilt that creeps over my spine and refuses to leave.

The softness of her voice and eyes surface back to my mind, but I force them away.

The smoke escapes my parted lips, and I watch as it disappears into thin air, only to repeat it all over again.

That's all that we've been doing. Repeating. Doing everything all over again.

But the crowd brings this rush that makes me want to continue doing it. The cheers and pleads for more.

Glastonbury was phenomenal. And so was our night today in Dublin. The fans never disappoint.

They're the only people that are constant in my life and I don't mind running into them.

My wound throbs in protest and I inhale sharply.

Aside from that time, where I almost could've died.