Chapter 2; Nerves

I find my bed in the same place as last year, I'm rooming with some girls I don't know and Madalyne Fredricks who has always been really sweet to me. She's a 6th year, so like other 6th year girls it may be just to get to Cedric but I don't get that vibe from her. I walk down to commons to see Professor McGonagall who I pleasantly ask with my eyes if I can go to Hufflepuff commons. She nods and checks my names off her lists.

I walk up to the barrels and it immediately lets me in, seeing as I practically am a Hufflepuff. I spot Cedric talking to some second year I kinda recognize and walk over gingerly, his smile widens when his eyes find mine. Professor Sprout's eyes also find me.

"Ah Allison of course you're here, they should start putting you on my roster, McGonagall checked you off?"

"Yes ma'am!" I wave a big thumbs up towards her as I plop down on the couch next to Cedric. He slides his arm around my shoulders as his conversation, which is about what his owl can do.

Ah yes old Albert, named after me, kinda, Cedric was 11 and liked my name but his owl was a male so he switched it up.

"Allison knows all about Albert don't you?

"Yeah that bird ran into my bedroom window more times than I care to remember over the summer," I smile as I see the second year start to laugh.

"Not even close to funny, poor old Albert," Cedric hangs his head in fake sorrow but I can feel his chuckles rising.

"How are you in our commons before I am?" Elizabeth says behind my head.

I turn to see her and she's decked out in her robes already. I stand up and cross my arms in a fit of fake anger, she laughs as I try to keep a straight face.

"Sorry Liz, had to come say hi to everyone before anything," I smile as she wraps her arms around my neck and gives me a hug.

"I'm so glad. Hufflepuff wouldn't be the same without our adopted Gryffindor," We both smile and I take my spot next to Cedric and his arm effortlessly slides over my shoulders again.

Elizabeth gives me a little shrug and a wink and I shake me head vigorously, she's been hinting at it since I was a first year, it's not happening we just mutually enjoy each others company. We grew up in the same little town, mostly a wizarding town but there's the occasional muggle neighbor. When Cedric left me to go to Hogwarts those first two years I practically died, he's always been my favorite person to be around so it was hard. Then I got in and things went back to right back to how they were at home. I think we both make the other more comfortable, such a blatant reminder of home, he'll never admit it though.

Ralph comes billowing down the boy's hall, changed into his robes. I smile at him and he returns it, Cedric turns to see what I'm looking at and sees Ralph.

"Oh Ralph you look dashing," The flirting is blatant, you see Ralph and Cedric aren't scared of being called gay, they're completely comfortable in their sexuality.

"Cedric Diggory, take me to dinner first,"

"I plan on it,"

They both break out in laughs and Ralph sits down on the other side of me. I see Ralph acknowledge Cedric's arm around me and he nods his head slowly and winks at me. I feel my face turn a type of red. Sprout hurries past our couch calling for everyone to be ready soon, I make my way out of Cedric's arm so that I can go get changed and leave with Gryffindor. Cedric looks up at me from the couch and sighs.

"Don't leave," His eyes have a pleading tint and he grabs my hand and turns me towards him.

"You know you have to get dressed too right?" I laugh lightly while taking in my surroundings.

"Yeah alright, just come by after dinner ok?" Cedric looks almost sad, he's spent the entire day with me but of course, I want to come to be with the Hufflepuffs.

"Ok ok I will I promise," The light laugh comes out again to mask how embarrassed I am by Cedric's dependency.

If he doesn't want people to think we're together, he needs to try harder because right now at least half the Hufflepuff House is staring at our hands.

I slowly slip my hand out from his and wave as I head out to see the Fat Lady. I say the password only to see the commons empty. Shit. I rush up the stairs and pull off my comfy clothes, I throw on my skirt and white shirt. As I'm buttoning the white shirt I'm pulling on my vest. I grab my cloak and move my wand from my bag to my robe. I rush back down the stairs. I open the door only to see one face I didn't expect.

"Saw you running up the stairs, aren't Gryffindors supposed to be punctual?"

"No, no one has ever said that about Gryffindors,"

"Bit of a temper today?"

"Draco now is not the time to harass me, I'm already late,"

"I'll walk with you so we're both late,"

Draco Malfoy? Being nice-ish? I'm surprised but cautious. I will take a late buddy though.

"Were you just going to skip if you didn't come down with me? You do understand this is mandatory right?"

"I'm not dim Northcott,"

My last name, quite original of him.

I rush down the stairs as they change, I hear his laugh behind me. I pick up my pace and I hear him pick his up. I laugh under my breath.

When we finally make it to the hall the doors are just about to be shut. Filch lets us in with a bit of hesitation, classic. I feel eyes on me as soon as we enter the hall. I somehow immediately find Cedric, he looks relieved. We really were the last ones, everyone is in here. I turn toward Draco and give him a bit of a smile. I rush towards Lionel, he left a spot for me.

"Draco Malfoy?" He whispers in my ear.

Dumbledore quickly calls us all to attention and Lionel's head snaps up. As the first year sorting begins I start to analyze everything that just happened.