Chapter 14; That Sucks

When I sit back down next to Liz and Lionel I see Cedric is on the edge of catching the snitch. It's practically between his fingers. Harry is right on top of him. It's tense, I think Cedric's got it, or maybe Harry will just push him and grab it. Cedric is so close, c'mon no way that new broom Harry's got can beat the tried and true Krever 100. It's finally close enough to his palm, he closes his hand, and yes! Yes! He caught it! I watch the Hufflepuffs around me all shout and cheer. I'm not supposed to be over here or supporting the other team but I do let out a cheer or two. Ralph is smiling from ear to ear as he descends from his post as keeper.

Lionel quickly fills me in that the score was 90 Gryffindor and 30 Hufflepuff. So it's a good thing Cedric caught it. Also, Elizabeth and him have teamed up on a gift, leaving me plan-less. I bite my lip as my mind wonders what would my golden boy even want? He's practically perfect looking, loves his wardrobe, has a nice-ish girlfriend, and good friends. I'm not sure what exactly I could gift him, magical or otherwise, that he'd enjoy instead of just giving me that "gee thanks" smile and throwing it out the next month. Something muggle maybe? My mother wouldn't mind sending me something from Dad's stuff I'm sure.

I see Snape make eye contact with me from the Teacher's Box, he motions to me. I make my way through the exiting crowd towards him. I make it halfway over there, standing in the empty Slytherin box as Cedric flies over to me.

"What are you doing? You're supposed to come to Hufflepuff for the celebration," He asks with a confused sort of expression.

"Um I don't know actually, Snape motioned for me to come to see him. Whenever I'm done I'll come to Hufflepuff I promise," I give him an award-winning smile.

Cedric's eyes flash over to Snape and he gets off his broom next to me. He pulls out his wand and flicks it, throwing his broom all the way back into storage.

"I'll walk with you," He throws his arm over my shoulder and walks with me to the box.

Snape stands at the exit waiting for me. He doesn't seem surprised by Cedric joining. He holds out his arm and we both grab on as he disparities into the castle. We land in Dumbledore's Office. My mother standing in a corner with a lot of baggage.

I get a little light-headed appariting but seeing my mother, away from my father, with bags makes me cling to Cedric for strength. I try to speak but only one word slips out.

"Dad."

"Yes Allison, it looks as if your meak little father has finally passed on," My mother's ever-present frown has turned into a very ugly smile.

"Mom you promised, you can't do this to me," Cedric's grip on me tightens as I try to take a wobbly step forward.

"Oh but I have, the house has been sold and I am about to go travel the world darling, aren't you happy?"

The house that stored all my favorite memories made in that house with my father, my mother, and even Cedric. Gone.

"You cannot just do this to her, she's homeless now!" Cedric shouts from beside me.

"Oh Cedric, dear one, you already know where she's going to stay now. And it looked like it was my choice so honey please shut your mouth," My mother runs her hand along her suitcases.

"You know I just came to say farewell but somehow you've managed to make a scene, what a pity," She smiles at me and starts to pick up her things.

"You did it, I know you did. Dad was gonna make it, the muggle doctors sai-" She turns her head ever so slightly towards me.

"They lied to you sweetheart. Dumbledore?" The enchantment is lifted for a second and she's gone.

"Well then, enjoy the rest of your day. I hear Hufflepuff won the Quidditch scrimmage, Mr.Diggory!" Dumbledore bellowing voice echoes across the office as he commends Cedric.

"Thank you, sir, is there a quiet place in the castle currently?" Cedric is too kind to me, I don't deserve him.

"Yes it looks as though the northern corridor just outside of my office is clear of anyone. And Allison, please do not take it to heart, your mother is a vain woman whose only love was your father, since her time at Hogwarts she has loved Robert," He gives me the softest smile and I must return it even though all he's saying is bullshit.

"C'mon Ally," I take Cedric's arm as he offers it to me and we head to the Northern corridor as told.

As we exit the phoenix elevator of sorts, I feel a tear roll down my face. Cedric looks over at me and immediately pulls me into a tight hug. More tears fall into his Hufflepuff Quidditch pullover. He smells like his deodorant is working overtime, the pinewood fills my nose as I sniffle. He laughs quietly and I look up towards him.

"What? Am I that ugly a crier?"

"No not that, it just seems like you'll be spending summers with me and the old man,"

"No I'm not letting you take me in Ced she can't do this to me," I say as the tears fall faster.

He shushes me and pulls my head against his chest.

"Do you know how much better my summers will be when I get to spend all of it with you?" Cedric says this as serious as a heart attack.

This strikes me as weird for him. We always hang out in the summer sure, but we've never lived together.

"Cedric you don't have to say that to make me feel better," I say, throat scraped by sobs.

"I mean it," He plants a soft kiss on the top of my head and pulls back from the hug to wipe the tears from my cheeks.

"Hufflepuff commons is waiting for us" Cedric grabs my hand that laid idle against my stomach.

"Correction: waiting for you," I smile and follow his lead to the kitchens.