Chapter 25; Well Gosh

I walk into my Potions class to see Draco chatting with Pansy. I see Harry motion for me to take my seat next to him.

"If you had to choose between having to be whomped by the willow or being bitten by a dog which would you choose?" Harry asks once I'm settled in for class.

"Hm that's tough. The willow doesn't seem fun so probably bitten by a dog," I chuckle at the silly question.

"No the dog drags you across many stairs and just about all over the place!" Ron pipes up from the other side of Harry.

"And he legitimately sinks his teeth into you! Sending you to the hospital!" Ron continues as I stifle my laughter as he seems serious.

"Did being whomped by the willow put anyone in the hospital?" I ask, trying to be serious but a smile slipping in.

"Um no, not seriously," Harry looks up to assess it and then looks back at me as he says this.

"Well then I change my answer. I would much rather be beaten up by a tree than be dragged around by a dog," I laugh.

"Ms.Northcott is something funny?" Professor Snape stands right in front of me.

"Uh no sir, not at all," I stutter trying to get out of trouble.

"One page of parchment about how disruption can destroy a learning environment. Due tomorrow," He turns back towards the rest of the class.

"As I was saying the root of the plant isn't as important as the juices that come out."

"Oh just ignore him, he's always been a prick to anyone that likes us," Ron whispers to me.

I smile back at him, not wanting to risk another assignment.

As class wraps up, I follow Professor Snape to the front of the classroom.

"Sir I just wanted to apologize for my disruption," I say timidly.

"It's disappointing to see who you've fallen in line with. I hope you learn to make better choices in the future," Snape tells me with his back still to me.

"Yes sir," And with that, I'm out of there.

I walk down a hallway mindlessly to Herbology until someone pushes me to the ground. Hard.

"Oops! Sorry," Pansy Parkinson snickers over me.

I get back up and look her straight in her beady little eyes. She's so full of hatred, anything I could do would only fuel it more. I smile and turn away, reminiscing on how satisfying a punch would've been.

"Hey you ok? I was in the grass when I saw Parkinson shove you," Cedric finds his way to my side.

"Yeah I mean I'm fine," I theatrically brush off my shoulder.

"Here let's get you to class," Cedric's arm slips under mine and he starts to basically drag me but in an "I'm trying to be helpful without being suggestive" way.

I arrive at Herbology with Cedric and Sprout calls us both to her desk.

"Mr.Diggory what a pleasure! Here's your birthday gift!" Sprout smiles, gives him a hug, and hands him the pin I received the day before.

"Thank you so much, Professor," Cedric smilies at Sprout and I, then waves goodbye as he rushes to his own class.

"Now have you seen what they're planning on the Commons for him?" Professor Sprout turns to me.

"No ma'am. I thought it was a school night so no parties are allowed," I give her a quizzical look.

"Usually, but one can make exceptions for the captain of the quidditch team and one of her brightest students! Now get to your seat, you'll find out tonight," I ponder this as I walk towards my seat near the front.