Chapter 19; Don't Look At Me That Way

I turn to see Cedric, his face rosy, and all alone.

"So your birthday is in three days," Cedric glances at his feet and kicks the dirt.

"That must mean yours is in four and I've already got you the best gift ever," I smile at him although he's not looking at me.

He raises his head, a grin forming.

"Oh Ally, when will you learn you're the best gift one could ask for?" Cedric pulls me into him by the waist.

I look up at him and feel electricity running right through me. Then I think of Draco. I back out of the embrace.

"Cedric, we can't do this anymore," I motion at the air now separating us and look anywhere but his eyes.

"What? What are you talking about?" Cedric gives me a questioning look.

Funny.

"You know what I mean. We're both seeing other people, what we're doing is messed up," I sigh and hang my head lower.

"Am I missing something? Have I done something physical with you I can't recall or what? Allison we're doing nothing out of the ordinary, you know that. We're friends," Cedric tries to reach my eyesight but I refuse to meet his gaze.

"Cedric, friends don't act as we do. We have a habit of acting like something more. I could excuse it up until now because, I'll admit, I enjoyed it. But Draco means more to me now than he did a month ago. I see what this does to him, it hurts him and I refuse to let it go on any longer," I feel heat rush to my cheeks in embarrassment as I basically word vomit all over Cedric.

"Allison, come on. This is us. This is how we've always been. People have always thought we're together. Hell, I even liked it that way," He shakes his head and chuckles.

"I'm sorry Cedric. I need us to be regular friends, like you and Elizabeth or you and Ralph. Someone who all of Hufflepuff doesn't think you're dating," I feel my stomach swirl, I want to literally vomit now.

It's like I can't get out of this situation I've created without hurting Cedric, my best friend in the whole world, the guy I would lay my life down for in an instant.

"Well some of Hufflepuff thinks I'm dating Ralph. In all seriousness you're right, Cho's been paranoid. You've got a point. But what does this mean for us Ally? I cannot lose you as a friend just because you feel awkward around me after this," Cedric steps closer to me and I finally meet his eyes.

"I promise you won't," My eyes unwavering because I know we would both go crazy without each other.

"Pinky swear?" Cedric holds out his pinky with a stupid grin plastered on his face.

"Pinky swear."

We make the swear and he turns to leave. Except he turns back about five steps away.

"Get ready for the best 15th ever," Cedric's grin says it all, and the panic to find him a gift resettles itself as my #1 worry.

I turn to head towards Spintwitches Sporting Needs to see if I can find anything Cedric would like. I feel an arm slip around my waist and I get ready to smack the shit out of Cedric.

It's Draco. Smiling. At me. Holding me. In front of people.

"Well hello," I say quietly close to his ear.

"Hi, I've missed you and from the sounds of you and Cedric's tiff you've missed me as well," Draco's smile turns into a grin.

Are you kidding? He heard it. Oh my god. Is he mad at me? I said some damning stuff. He doesn't look mad, almost happy? I'm confused. Tread lightly.