Chapter 35; Enjoyable

Here I am, at a desolate dinner, with Edmund McLaggen. The Hufflepuff table has a couple of stragglers and it's first through third years who have to stay the night in other houses or in the Great Hall itself. The Gryffindor table is half empty. Ravenclaw is missing a chunk of people. Slytherin is full. We found ourselves at the edge of Gryffindor, speaking about miscellaneous things.

"I mean come on! It's werewolves all the way!" Edmund exclaims.

"No no! Vampires have proven again and again they're better!" I laugh.

"You're just saying that to disagree with me," Edmund shakes his head and takes another bite of his steak.

"Am not!" I reply with a laugh, my mouth brimming with the wonderful mashed potatoes.

We both just sit there and laugh as we eat.

"Okay okay what's your, I don't know, favorite house here?" He motions to the room around us.

"Wait," I chew the way too big piece of steak I put in my mouth.

"People wise? Hufflepuff. Awesomeness wise? Gryffindor," I smile.

"Eh I can see that. I liked the kids that passed through here better than the ones in our house now so I see your point," Edmund grabs more gravy.

"Okay my turn. Your favorite professor?" I can't get this stupid goofy smile off my face, I feel like I haven't had a completely innocent stupid conversation in forever.

"Gotta go with the tried and true Professor Dumbledore," Edmund smiles back at me.

I see a drunk Ralph and Cedric enter for dinner. Cedric tailed by Cho. I look away at whatever mess they're going to cause, none of my concern right now.

"Yours Allison?" Edmund calls me back to our tiny piece of peace.

"Sprout. No question. She's taken me in since first year because I want to be with Cedric all the time," I laugh and look down, maybe a bit too honest there.

"Everyone on the face of the Earth can tell, you know?" Edmund raises an eyebrow at me.

"Wow it's not like everyone I've ever known has told me that," My laughing is genuine because I don't know a single person that hasn't.

"I'm rooting for you guys," Edmund holds up his fist. "Woo!" He continues. I double over in laughter.

I start shedding a tear because I'm so embarrassed and tickled at the same time. I wipe it away and start to calm down. I finish my plate and see that Edmund had long finished his and was just waiting for me.

"Shall we?" Edmund asks.

"Yeah let's go get hammered," I chuckle as we start walking down the sides of the table, always glancing at one another to see if we're walking evenly.

"M'lady?" Edmund offers his arm at the door of the Great Hall.

I throw my head back with a laugh and take it graciously.

"Thank you, m'lord," He starts laughing with me as we near Hufflepuff.

I knock and we're let into a still bustling scene but some have already conked out on the couches. I separate myself from Edmund and head towards the drinks. I laugh as I see some 7th year kick in his sleep.

"Allison? Where have you been?" George or Fred comes near and I start filling up my drink with an unidentified pink liquid.

I turn around as he reaches me. "Um, eating dinner? You should go grab some if you haven't already," I smile up at him.

His hand goes to my cheek.

"How responsible of you," He smiles down at me.

From the corner of my eye I see Cedric and whoever else reenter the party. I move out of this redhead's grasp and move back towards my quiet chair. I'm not sure if I want to be here. I know exactly where I would like to be, but I know I'm not allowed. I eye a garbage bag Ced will surely use for cleanup later and I get up to throw away my cup.

Stone cold sober. Not how I like leaving a party but I don't like the party. I start the trek back to Gryffindor as I imagine the softness of my bed.