Chapter 36; Responsibility

I wake up the next morning refreshed and happy. I pull on a hoodie and some slides and head down to the Great Hall. It's a bit past 9 am and barely anyone is up. I look at an empty section of Gryffindor and take a seat.

In front of me is warm cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting falling down on all sides. My mouth waters.

"Eating alone Northcott?"

I look up to see Draco standing next to me with today's Daily Prophet in his hand. He's wearing black plaid pajama pants and a black shirt.

"Yes Malfoy," I reply while rolling my eyes.

"Well that's sad," Draco takes a seat next to me.

I smile at him and he lifts the corner of his mouth. I lean my head on his shoulder as he opens up his newspaper.

"What's the news?" I say in between bites.

We sit there and talk about the news and various other things when Draco informs me that it's been almost an hour.

"I have stuff I have to attend to. It's been fun Northcott," Draco gets up, leans down and kisses me then leaves.

I feel my face burn in heat. I smile as I stack our used plates. I get up and start my way back to Gryffindor for a lounge type of day.

"Ally," I hear a tired voice say monotone.

I turn to Hufflepuff table and see Elizabeth with her hands cupped around her lips. I smile and walk towards the band of hungover teenagers. Ralph asleep on the table, Cedric and Cho leaning on each other for support, Elizabeth heaving from just saying my name, meanwhile Lionel just sits solemnly eating his cinnamon roll.

I play it safe and take a seat next to Lionel.

"How was your night?" Lionel asks without looking up from his plate.

"Good, I didn't party so I woke up super refreshed," I smile.

"Wow that's good. You're like fifteen you really shouldn't make partying a habit," Lionel says.

We all sat in silence after that. I started to get fidgety after a while. I had been sitting still for what seemed like forever. God, I hate being the second most responsible.

"I think I'm going to go. I'm quite tired," I yawn and move my legs from beneath the table.

"Bye Ally," Elizabeth whispers.

Lionel follows me out of the Great Hall.

"Allison. We must talk," Lionel says as we exit the doorway.

"What is it?" We start walking down an open-aired hallway.

"First we should talk about the rager that is your love life. Then something much more serious," Lionel's expression changes and his mouth becomes a thin line.

"Serious?" I ask, confused as ever.

Lionel looks around quickly and lowers his voice. "Someone has been practicing dark magic in the castle."

"Lionel you've lost it. Who in their right mind would do that right under Dumbledore's nose?" I smile to try and lighten his grimace but nothing changes.

"Ally I've seen it. Books about dark topics have gone missing and I swear I've seen a dark mark appear out of thin air."

Lionel isn't joking and it's quite scary.

"Dark mark? That's not unusual, lots of reformed death eaters right here at Hogwarts. The headmaster of Durmstrang, Snape, and who knows who else. But the best auror of the past century and the strongest wizard of the past millennium would sniff out anything bad. I'm sure of it," I keep up my smile as his brown eyes pierce mine.

"You overestimate them-," Lionel pauses. "But I'm sure you're right, I must be going mad." Lionel flashes me a wide grin and heads off.

"Lionel!" I yell after him but he's gone.

I try to wipe the conversation from my head as I walk aimlessly around the castle.