Chapter 27; Is This What Hell Feels Like?

We arrive at the Fat Lady portrait and she lets us all in, understanding the "Hufflepuff cleaning". I look around my commons. Edmund, Cormac, Harry, Hermione, Madalyne, and Ron are just a few familiar faces I pick out. This has got to be a sick joke.

We find a couch near one of the windows. Cedric sits and meets my eyes, telling me to sit next to him. Before I can, Ralph takes the spot and I quickly sit next to Ralph. Elizabeth sits in front of the couch and Lionel sits on a chair in the same proximity.

"Ally, I understand why you're always in Hufflepuff now. This place is a drag," Ralph whispers in my ear.

I chuckle and Cedric looks over to see why. I'm caught in his stare again. Edmund approaches.

"Allison, a pleasure to see you here for once," Edmund stands in front of the couch and I laugh at his joke.

"Only came because Hufflepuff is unavailable," I try to keep up the smile but it becomes fake.

"I could've sworn-" Immediately I'm up off the couch and tugging Edmund away from Cedric.

I let him go near a little nook. My back against the wall I breathe a sigh of relief.

"What? Wanted me all to yourself?" Edmund smirks at me.

"No, it's just- Hufflepuff is getting ready for Cedric's party. It's his 17th and everyone in Hufflepuff loves him," I smile at the thought.

"Ah I get it. Sorry, I almost blew your cover," Edmund smiles at me and offers his hand to take me back to my seat.

I take it gratefully and once I'm in Cedric's line of sight again, he definitely notices.

"Happy birthday Cedric," Edmund says in passing.

I smile as Edmund leaves to go talk or do other things, I didn't bother asking.

Ralph nudges me. His eyes motion to Edmund and then back to me. I shake my head no. Ralph gives me a suspicious smile and I hit him on the arm.

Dinner cannot come soon enough.

"So where's the legendary Harry Potter? I'd like to see him," Elizabeth asks.

I point him out in the crowd of his friends including Dean, Seamus, Hermione, and Ron. Elizabeth nods and Harry seems to notice my pointing. He turns around and is visibly surprised to see me. Hermione, Ron, and him break from the bigger group to come say hello.

"Hermione! Pleasure to see you again," Cedric stands up to give her a quick hug.

"Allison I didn't think you'd be here, let alone with Cedric considering today is his birthday," Harry turns his attention. "Happy birthday. Hope it's been good thus far," Harry holds out his hand so Cedric can shake it.

"Hi Ron," I sneak in a little wave as I say this to him.

He looks as though he feels ignored so I motion him over to talk to me and maybe Ralph.

"So who do you think is going to win this final Quidditch match?" I ask when he's sitting on the arm of the couch.

"Honestly I have no stake in it so this is completely unbiased but probably Hufflepuff," Ron says.

"Nice!" Ralph overhears and goes to fist bump him.

This produces a laugh out of Ron. I look over to see Elizabeth and Harry talking about the trials of being such a legend. Lionel and Cedric go on about how the dynamics of the houses are changing and Hermione is just watching Cedric from her seat next to Harry. I look over to see Ron's eyes linger on Hermione until he realizes I'm looking at him and we make eye contact.

"You like her don't you?" I ask with a smirk.

"No. I don't. And you'd better keep your voice down with those kinds of accusations," Ron whispers.

He acts like I accused him of murder. Then finally as Ron was formulating another comeback, the clock hits 6 and we can finally go eat! I nudge Ralph and he's immediately on his feet, probably eager to go party. Elizabeth notices and she wraps up her conversation quickly. Cedric and Lionel both get up while continuing their conversation. I lead us to the exit and breathe a deep sigh of relief, feel like I'm doing that a lot lately.

"So Harry's actually pretty interesting," Elizabeth says once we've all settled in our seats.

"How so?" Lionel asks.

As they go on, I can't help but notice that Cedric is sitting farther away from me than normal. I scoot down and bring my hand up to his ear. I bring my face close so I can whisper.

"I'm sorry about earlier. I was so flustered I didn't know what to do. Hope I didn't ruin your mood," I bring my hand down and bring my head back to look at Elizabeth who is currently filling everyone in on the Quirrel situation.

Of course I know all the details as it was all anyone in Gryffindor could talk about for a month. I feel cool breath on my ear that sends waves of electricity down my spine.

"Of course not, in fact, you made my day," Cedric chuckles in my ear and I almost explode.

Cedric pulls back and engages in the conversation regularly. Meanwhile, my heart is going a million beats per minute. What did he mean? Made his day by being on top of him? Ugh I can't with him.

We sit and talk until almost everyone is done, or maybe they just rushed for the impending events.

Ralph smilies at me when everyone in our group looks about done with their meal.

It's gonna be a wild night.