Part 63: Scars

AN-

Hey all! Trying to get faster with updates. Thanks for all the fantastic comments and thanks for hanging in with me and my madness!

Love ya!

"Here ya go, ladies!! One peanut butter cup and one chocolate fudge ripple, both extra thick." The supremely quick server placed two milkshakes in front of them within what felt like seconds of ordering. "Your food will be just a few more minutes."

"Thank you," Ashten smiled back and nodded as the girl scampered over to the next table of customers. The diner was busy and they were a bit surprised Vi herself wasn't flittering about as usual.

It was just as well. This milkshake meeting was definitely more business than pleasure.

Storm's eyes bugged out as she took a sip from her straw, struggling to suck up the thick liquid. Finally, after a few strenuous pulls, she was rewarded with chocolate deliciousness and let out a contented sigh.

"Good?" Ashten laughed.

"Amazing." Storm smiled brightly with a euphoric look. "Yours?"

"Heavenly." Ashten swiped her tongue across her bottom lip so as not to waste any of the peanut buttery flavor. "God, I love food."

It was true. Food was one of her passions but her statement held an ulterior motive. She also secretly hoped her proclamation would ease them into the conversation she desperately wanted to have.

"Me too," Storm agreed, her eyes widening as a large platter of fries covered in cheese and bacon was placed on the table. "A little too much, I think."

Bingo.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah."

"Back at the mall with Donna. When you said you were 'used to it', what did that mean?"

"Oh... that," Storm scooped some of the hot and gooey food onto her plate with a slight eye roll. "Just used to her crazy, that's all."

Ashten sat back in the comfortable booth and studied the young girl across from her, contemplating how to proceed with the line of questioning she had in mind without being too intrusive.

"What kind of crazy?"

Storm shrugged as she chewed. "I don't know. Kind of hard to explain. Like....she's obsessed with perfection. Obsessed with her appearance. I mean, she worked out constantly. Totally obsessed with her weight. Always got on me about my weight."

"How so?"

Ashten took a bite of hot cheese and tossed it around in her mouth to avoid scalding her tongue. She could feel the pings of irritation creep up her spine as she awaited a reply.

"Oh god, where do I start?" She sighed and motioned to the high calorie and carb fest in front of her. "Well, she would never let me eat anything like this, that's for sure."

"No?"

"No way! See, she thought I held on to my baby fat for too long. She would say that my face looked too full and that I had a gut. I had a restricted food list. She had me on a strict calorie count. No pizza, no ice cream, no sodas, or any kind of junk at all. She would weigh me every day. Take my measurements all the time. It was endless."

"Jesus Christ." Ashten gritted her teeth and swallowed the rage building in her. Although she hadn't known Nikki and his kids back then, she'd seen enough pictures to know Storm never had a weight issue, and the idea of a little girl being abused in such a way made her skin burn.