Part 15: Date night

Part 15: In which our hero partakes in a new addiction...

"Dad, can we watch a movie?" Storm asked.

"Yep, two emails to go. Go pick something out while I finish." I took a swig of my root beer and went back to my laptop. After her chat with Ashten, who dipped out shortly afterward to go meet James, Storm and I had a discussion of our own.

The verdict came in that she was grounded for a month. No cell phone, no computer, no regular phone, and she was to move back into Tommy's house with me the next day. I also decided she can wait until she's seventeen to get her driver's license. To my surprise, she took it pretty well. She knew she fucked up royally. In a way, I couldn't really blame her. It's not like it wasn't something I didn't do when I was her age. Plus, she had the disadvantage of having my blood running through her veins. Then there was also the fact that I had been so wrapped up in the divorce, Kat, Royal Underground, my book, and SIXX AM, that I had really not set aside much one-on- one time for my kids. Especially Storm. It seemed that the only time we had spent together lately had been reserved for arguing. So, as much as I hated to admit it, I played a part in her actions as well. This was why I decided to spend the night with her at Ashten's place eating Chinese and watching movies. Being around to monitor what time Ashten got home was just an added bonus.

Anyway, I promised Storm I was all hers as soon as I answered a few emails. One was from Kelly Gray about setting up a photo shoot for the RU Fall line and the final one was for a small book signing appearance. I had just hit the send button when the doorbell rang. I closed my laptop and met the delivery guy at the door.

"Alright kid," I took the bags into the kitchen and set them on the bar that separated the kitchen from the living room. It was a pretty cool set up actually, because you could sit in the kitchen and watch the TV in the living room at the same time. "Where do you want to eat? In here or the living room?"

"Living room," she replied with her back to me as she loaded the DVD player. I grabbed some plates and began to unpack the cartons of food while she fiddled with remote to skip all the previews. I almost dropped a box of chicken fried rice when I looked up and saw the menu screen for Grey's Anatomy Season 1 Disc 1.

"You're kidding me, right?" I asked as my daughter joined me at the bar and began filling her plate with pork lo mien.

"Nope," she replied and grinned.

"No way," I shook my head and bit into an eggroll. "No, fucking way am I watching Grey's Anatomy."

"Please, Daddy?" Storm turned on the pouty face. "I've never seen it, and it's in, like, the third season. Ashten has all of the seasons and you said we could do whatever I wanted tonight...."

Fucking hell. She didn't even have to plead her case. She played the daddy card and for that, I have absolutely no defense. God, help me when Frankie becomes a teenager. I groaned. "Fine," I surrendered and took a bite of sesame chicken as I eyeballed my daughter. "You are going to make a great wife one day."

"Why?" Storm replied as we carried our plates to the living room and flopped down on Ashten's sectional.

"Because you are mastering the art of manipulation." I muttered back at her.

Storm laughed, obviously satisfied with herself. "I'm never getting married."

"I would be lying if I said that info doesn't have me on the verge of doing Snoopy dances," I replied as I added some duck sauce to my plate. "But, why not?"

Storm shrugged and dabbed her mouth with a napkin. "I don't know. It',like, marriage doesn't seem to last. I'd probably be better off just living with someone."

I was trying not to choke because I was pretty sure fried rice would fly out of my nose if I did. The idea of my daughter "living with someone" was a bit more than I wanted to think about. I simply glared at Storm to let her know how I felt about that idea. "Just start the DVD."

Storm pressed play and as we ate we began to get involved in the lives of the doctors at Seattle Grace Hospital. We were about fifteen minutes into the first episode when I heard the front door slam. As I heard footsteps walking towards us, I silently hoped it was Ashten coming home early. Nope. Just Tommy.

"What's up, dudes?" He asked as he flopped down on the other side of the sectional.

"Nothing, eating dinner and watching Grey's Anatomy," Storm replied.

Tommy looked at the TV and then back to me with a flabbergasted look on his face. "Dude. Grey's Anatomy? And YOU asked ME when MY vagina was being installed?"

I glared back at him and got up to refill my plate. "We are having Dad and daughter night. She picked it."

"Whatever, bro."

"No partying tonight?" I asked.

"Fuck no, dude. I called it early. I'm still fucking hung over from last night," Tommy replied, reclining back into the sofa, his arms folded behind his head.

"Me too," Storm agreed.

"Yeah, I'll bet you are," Tommy smiled at her. "Gonna think twice before doing that again?"

"Yeah," Storm replied before shushing him, her eyes glued to the screen.

'"Want some food, T-Bone? There's a ton left," I asked.

"Hell yeah," he jumped up and grabbed a plate, immediately loading it with food. He sat back down on the couch and dug in, joining in with Storm on the show. "That blonde chick kind of looks like Ashten. Except Ashten has blue eyes."

"Katherine Heigl?" Storm asked as she eyeballed the screen and nodded in agreement. "Eh, maybe."

"No she doesn't," I replied as I sat back down.

"Dude, she totally does," Tommy replied, pointing back at the screen. "Look, tall, big titties, long blonde hair. Ashten's got blue eyes and a juicier ass, plus her face is prettier, but they do kind of resemble each other. Body wise, anyway."

"Ok, fine, she does," I muttered. I didn't want to talk about Ashten. I didn't want to think about her. If I thought about her I would think about what she may be doing with James. I took a glance at the clock on the mantle. She had been gone a little over an hour. The whole thought of it made me want to puke up my eggroll. I hated this. I hated feeling this way. I had to find a way to get her out of my mind. So, I concentrated in Grey's Anatomy for a while.

A while turned into hours and before I knew it, it was midnight and I was halfway through disc 2. Tommy left about an hour earlier and Storm had fallen asleep, curled up next to me on the couch. I nudged her a little bit and tried to get her to wake up and go to her room. Not a fucking chance, that kid was practically in a coma. I picked her up and carried her into her bedroom then went outside to smoke.