Part 17: Knock em Dead

NIKKI'S POV

The next morning, Tommy, Stella and I were sitting at Tommy's kitchen table just taking our first sips of coffee when Ashten came in through the patio. She looked at all of us briefly, but long enough for is to see something wasn't right. We sat and watched in silence as she poured some coffee and joined us at the table, taking a seat next to Tommy. She looked tired. Like she hadn't slept all night.

Tommy looked at her quizzically. "You ok?"

"I'm fine," Ashten replied and gave him a small smile before taking a sip of her coffee.

"Sorry about Bonkers fucking up your dress. Did you find something else for tonight?"

"Yes," Ashten replied, setting her mug down. "Kelly sent something over to me after I got back from her office. But, I might as well send it back because, as it turns out, I'm not going."

Stella's head jerked up from her phone. "What do you mean you're not going?"

Ashten sighed, "Look, I really don't want to talk about this. Can we just drop it and go on about our days?"

"No," all three of us answered back.

She rolled her eyes in irritation. "James said he thinks we shouldn't see each other anymore, ok?"

My jaw almost hit the floor. He did it. He fucking did it. It was over. It was about fucking time.

"Aww, I'm sorry, girl," Tommy put his arm around her shoulder. "Are you bummed?"

"Kind of," she shrugged. "I'm more confused than anything. I mean, I thought things were going fine. Progressing nicely. I was ready for tonight to be, ya know, THE night."

"Jesus Christ," Tommy replied, "you mean to tell me you hadn't put out, yet?"

"Not yet."

"That explains it," Tommy concluded.

I rolled my eyes. "That's not why he did it."

All three of them looked at me. Fuck. I just said that out loud, didn't I?

"How do you know?" Stella inquired.

"I, uh..I don't. I'm just guessing," I stammered. "James isn't like that. There had to be some other reason."

"Uh, huh," Stella replied, nodding her head. I tuned back into Tommy and Ashten, but Stella continued to stare at me. That stare soon turned into a glare.

"So, come with me," Tommy offered.

"No," Ashten shook her head. "I appreciate the offer but I don't want a pity date."

"Who said anything about a date?" Tommy replied. "I wouldn't take you on a date. You don't put out."

Ashten laughed as she defended herself. "That is SO no true. I put out. I've put out TONS."

Wait. Where was she going with this?

"Whatever," Tommy grinned. "Just come with me. I'll introduce you around. You won't even remember James by the end of the night."

"Well..." Ashten contemplated.

"Come on. You know you want to wear the pretty new dress you got." Tommy taunted.

Ashten surrendered. "Ok, fine. I guess it would be a shame to leave that thing in the closet."

I smiled when she agreed to go. While I didn't want James on her arm, I still wanted her to be there.  "Don't party too hard tonight, T-bone.  She has that shoot for me tomorrow."