Part 11: Danger

Part 11: In which we have a drink...or two...

Ashten's POV

As I was walking out my front door, I suddenly realized I didn't know where I was going to go. Storm had my car, so it as not like I was going to drive anywhere. I sure as hell wasn't going back inside, so I wiped my eyes and decided just to go back to the party and try to find Stella. Much to my surprise, as I was stomping across the patio, I realized that all of Tommy's guests had left. I guess word must have gotten around that the cops were probably on the way. It was just as well. I wasn't in the mood to be around a bunch of people anymore.

I continued to walk around the pool and decided to channel all of my rage by picking up all of the random beer and liquor bottles and stuffing them into trash bags. After I filled about three bags, I still hadn't calmed down. So, I decided to sit down and get to know Jack Daniels a little better. I sat down at a patio table and did two shots back to back. I was just pouring the third one when I heard an all too familiar voice behind me.

"Are you trying to make yourself puke?"

I turned around and saw Nikki walking towards me with his hands in his pockets. He looked like he had mellowed out quite a bit. His tone of voice had softened and, honestly, he looked exhausted. That was quick, I thought. Then I looked at my watch and realized I had been out there for almost an hour. "What do you care?" I asked slamming back the third shot and wincing a little bit.

Nikki smiled a little bit and took a seat across from me. "That one hurt a little?"

"No," I said in a snotty tone and held up the bottle. "I'm just used to REAL bourbon. From Kentucky. Not this Tennessee swill."

Nikki's eyebrows went up. "I've never met a bourbon snob before."

"Well, you have now," I said, getting up to get some ice. I decided it would be wiser to actually make a jack and coke as opposed to drinking the entire bottle straight. "Do you want one?" I asked, my back to him.

"Why not?" He leaned back in his chair. "It's been a hell of a long night."

"Tell me about it," I replied, handing him his drink and slipping back into my chair. "Any word on Storm?"

Nikki took a long swig of his Jack and Coke and then lit a cigarette. "Yeah, the cops found her over at a party off of Sunset. They were already there to break the thing up when the call came in about Tommy's car. They picked her up." He blew out smoke and took another sip.

"Are they bringing her home?"

"No." He replied, taking another drag off of his cigarette.

"Are you going to get her?"

"No." He finished his drink and got up to pour another one.

My eyebrows went up. "Why not?"

He sat back down and pulled his chair in closer to the table. "Tommy and I talked about it. I figured the best way to get through to her is to let her spend the night in jail. Grounding her doesn't seem to be working and as much as I hate to think about how scared she must be, I think in the long run it may be the best thing for her. They have her in a holding cell with her friends. At least I know she's safe."

I finished my drink and got up to get another one. "I think that's a very wise decision."

"Thanks, Doctor."

"No really," I replied, my back to him as I poured another drink. "It was a good idea. I'm impressed."

"And I'm an asshole."

NIKKI'S POV

Ashten's back was to me and I got up and walked towards her. I took her drink out of her hand and put it back on the bar. I grabbed her by her shoulders, spun her around and pulled her into me, wrapping my arms around her. She tensed up at first but then I felt her relax and she put her arms around my waist.

"I'm sorry," I said into her neck. She still smelled like pears. "I'm so sorry for everything. You didn't deserve that."

"You were scared."

"I know. I still am. But I don't just mean tonight. I'm sorry about all of it. All of this shit I've said to you. Everything." I thought I felt myself start to shake and hope she couldn't feel it.

I wanted to tell her I loved her and I couldn't stop thinking about her. I also wanted to tell her that I never wanted to do anything ever again that would make her cry. But I couldn't. Tonight was the wrong night. Too much had already happened, and besides, I was scared to death.

"Thank you for saying that." Ashten pulled away and smiled at me. She wiped one of her eyes. "I'm sorry I couldn't stop her from doing something stupid."

"It's not your fault," I said. "I'm just glad you care about her so much."

Ashten smiled at me. "You do have your hands full, don't you?"

I laughed. "You have no idea. And you haven't even met Decker and Frankie, yet."

Ashten laughed. "Looking forward to it."

I nodded and picked up the bottle of Jack. "You'll meet them soon enough. Tonight, we drink. Happy Birthday, by the way."

ASHTEN'S POV

I woke up the next morning and could feel my head pounding before I even opened my eyes. I had that gross dry mouth that tasted like an ashtray and I was sprawled out in my bed on my stomach. I wouldn't have even thought about moving if my bladder hadn't been screaming for relief. I peeled my eyes open and looked at the clock. It was almost eight- thirty and the sun was beginning to peak in through my windows.

With my head still attached to my pillow, I glanced down at the floor and noticed all of the clothes I had been wearing the night before were laying in a pile next to the bed. Then I looked at myself under the sheets and noticed I was completely naked. It wasn't too surprising, I usually sleep naked, but I at least keep my panties on. Figuring I must have been really drunk, I shook it off and just rolled over. My eyes popped open and much to the dismay of my head, I sat straight up in bed when I realized I was not alone. Lying on his stomach under a mess of black hair and tattoos was Nikki. I suddenly felt like I was going to puke.

"Holy shit," I whispered.