Chapter 16: Bits of the past

"𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒂 𝒏𝒂𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒂𝒍 𝒅𝒓𝒖𝒈 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒐𝒇 𝒎𝒚 𝒑𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒄, 𝒂𝒏𝒙𝒊𝒆𝒕𝒚, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓. 𝑰𝒕'𝒔 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒗𝒐𝒊𝒄𝒆. 𝑰𝒕'𝒔 𝒉𝒊𝒎."
~~~

*Sigh*
Akhil sighed heavily sitting in the car as he finally finished his day's work and was now heading back home.

The thought of going back home to Preeti and spending time with her itself gave him enough comfort and peace.

"Spending time with you is the best part of the day." Akhil muttered to himself. Though he was excited to spend some time with her, he was also worried.

Something was off about her since few days. She wasn't eating properly, wasn't talking much, constantly zoning out and in the morning he even noticed her swollen eye bags.

"Did she cried yesterday night?" Akhil thought. He decided to have a conversation with Preeti regarding it once he's home.

He rang the doorbell but sensing no response for atleast five minutes he used the key to open the door.

"Preeti... " He called firmly but there wasn't any response. He checked the entire house and found it to be empty.

Akhil was about to exit the bedroom when he heard light sobs from the bedroom balcony. "I should check there as well."
He went outside only to witness a painful sight.

"Preeti..... " He's voice trailed off as he noticed her sitting on the ground her legs folded to her chest head duck between them and her hands wrapped around her body.

Her body shivered and her chest raised and lowered heavily. She was a crying mess, her figure disheveled.

A wave of shock strung Akhil but he quickly responded and lowered himself to her level. He noticed her phone besides her.
'Viv' the name on the screen flashed.

"Hello.... "
"Jij thank God you're home. Di's having a severe panic attack Jij. Please, please calm her down. Do anything you can but please calm her down. Hug her... Yes... That works the best... Please be with her Jij... " he cried.

Akhil still holding the phone engulfed Preeti into a warm hug. Keeping the phone aside he put one of his arms around her body while the other carsed her hair.

"A-Ak-Akhil.... " She finally spoke as she felt his warmth. "I-I.... " She couldn't complete. Her body didn't have enough strength to keep her speaking.

"It's OK... I'm here... It's fine"

"I-I can't stop it. I-I'm sorry."

"Shh... I said it's OK. I've got you. You don't need to be sorry for anything Jaan." His voice was firm and held care.

After around twenty minutes Preeti calmed down. Her heart wasn't pounding as hard as before. She was finally breathing normally though her body still shivered. Her eyes were swollen cz of all the crying. Her head leaned against Akhil's shoulder who hadn't left her even for a second.

"C-can we go in?" She managed to ask.

"Sure." He helped her getting up but her body had lost it's strength. She stumbled but Akhil caught her wrapping his one arm around her waist and the other holding her hand firmly.

He made her sit on the bed adjusting the pillow behind her and covering the duvet over her legs. He was about to move to get her a glass of water but Preeti held his fingers gently.