[18]

Happy mother's day.

Gus scribbled over an equation, having weekend homework for not being smart. "No that.." He growled, erasing the problem and writing it again. "This is stupid.."

A knock on the front door made him pause, hearing his dad grunt from the kitchen, "Gus my boy, open the door yeah?"

"Yeah." Gus placed his pencil down.

He opened the door slightly, peeking out, "Matholomule!" Gus widened the gap. "Hey! Uh- What's up?"

The lindworm lightly shrugged, rubbing his neck, "I don't know, was in the neighborhood. Want to..Go hang out or something?" He pointed back. "Or whatever.."

Gus glanced back, seeing his father wave him out, mouthing, 'Go have fun I'm going to watch the k-drama-'

"Sure I'm free, let me change real quick. Come inside." Gus stepped aside.

Matholomule hesitantly slipped in, Gus pointing to a bean bag chair. "Sit sit, or go to the kitchen for a drink--" Gus hummed. "Just give me a sec-"

He ran to a different room, closing the door. Matholomule glanced around the room, slithering towards the bean bag chair, balling up. It didn't take long for Agusuts to rush out, making sure his mini backpack didn't hurt his wings. "Alright ready?"

Matholomule paused, "I got comfy.."

"Too bad!" Gus took his claw, opening the front door and rushing out with him. "Bye Dad! Don't feel bad for Jan-Di during prom!"

"You little--"

Gus closed the door, "Come on before he sends his crow after me--" He squeezed Matholomule's claw, dragging him along as they rushed to the market.

Once they turned a few corners, Gus saw fit that they should stop fleeing, so he looked to Matholomule. "What do you want to do buddy?" Gus asked.

"Take a break--" Matholomule hissed, his tail making a quick swipe motion which removed some dirt from it. "Lindworms don't move fast if you didn't know."

"Oh? I thought you were an a-"

"Don't." Matholomule uttered. "Don't call me that. I'm not an apep. Don't compare me to them."

Gus raised his hands, "Touchy subject I get it. Dragons are usually feared, honestly, I fear everyone else--" Gus pat Matholomule's shoulder. "Don't worry. I won't compare you to an apep, sorry for bringing it up."

Matholomule untensed, sighing, "You are so weird." He pushed Gus's face away. "Come on."

"Weird beats are the best kind." Gus caught up, having a small skip in his step. "It's better than being curled up all day-- Hey. Do you shed?"

Matholomule perked up, "Odd question but yes. Not often but when the time comes I hate it."

"How come? Isn't it just--"

"Whatever you're thinking, it's not." Matholomule shook his head. "When we shed, it starts from our snouts down to our tails. Takes two days. You can never speed up the process or you'll get scars."

Gus nodded slowly, "Why."

Matholomule rolled his eyes, "It's like picking a scab- You never let it heal properly and you just keep picking at it, so it leaves a scar. That's what speeding up a shedding looks like, but the bleeding doesn't stop til the wound is properly closed. That's why I was gone last week."

Gus snapped, "I knew something about you looked different when you came back!"

"My scales were shiny." Matholomule nodded. "Yes that's what shedding does."