Chapter 1

Area 613 is the first and only free district where hybrids are protected and allowed to roam free or so the gossips claimed

Area 613 is the first and only free district where hybrids are protected and allowed to roam free or so the gossips claimed. This was the location every enslaved hybrid strove to escape to. Unfortunately, with collars and microchipping, it was damn near impossible to get to it. So as owners got crueler their so-called pets got more desperate to leave. But there were rumors. Rumors that if you knew the right person or paid enough money, you could get into the Underground Railroad where hybrids would be shuttled off from safe house to safe house until you reached Area 613. Of course, because everything was so secretive, finding the right helpers were hard. Between the secret code phrases and the tattoos and the rest of the rumors, it was hard to separate fact from fiction. But for desperate enough hybrids, anything was worth the risk.

Among the shrouds of mystery and confusion, you stood front and center. Well more accurately, you were towards the back. Your safe house was among the last stops on one of the trails of the Underground Railroad. You had always loved hybrids, in fact you grew up with three of them and they all had died happily of natural causes. When you heard about how hybrids were being abused and how the government did nothing to stop it, you couldn't sit idly by. Thanks to having some friends who were studying to be veterinarians, you found out about the whole secret movement. Before you knew it, you were assigned to host a safe house.

You weren't sure how you were chosen or who chose you, but you didn't ask. The whole point about the system was secrecy and you respected that. You started this whole business four years ago and you almost lost a couple of hybrids along the way. You were also forced to move safe houses at one point and nearly died, but that came with the job description. You didn't mind all that as long as you were saving lives at the end of the day. Your current safe house had been yours for the past year and a half now.

"Another successful transfer, Y/N," you told yourself while stripping the sheets off one of the guest bedrooms. You calmly collected everything in a basket and continued to the washing room to prep for the next guest. Although you weren't scheduled to hold another refugee for another week or so, you always kept the house ready just in case of emergencies.

As you finished your chores, you decided to go out on a walk in the surrounding area. Even though you took pride and joy in successful transfers, you hated the loneliness that surrounded you afterward. Hybrids were such emotional creatures and you loved to bond with them. Every time one of them left, you felt a piece of your soul rip away. You regained that piece by walking around nature. You packed lunch in a picnic basket along with a blanket and some reading for your time alone. You arrived at your favorite spot, not too far from the house, but right in front of the lake and set everything down for a nice relaxing day. As you lay on the blanket, reading, and eating, you soon felt yourself succumbing to slumber.

You felt something touching your face but refused to wake up and only swatted away the nuisance. It seemed to work as whatever it was, stopped touching your face. You just smiled and tried to return to sleep when you started hearing a crunching noise. It initially didn't bother you until you thought about your food. You sat up, fully awake and saw a rather large wolf nosing through your basket.

"Hey!" you caught the wolf's attention. For a moment you two stared at each other. The wolf's grey eyes pierced right through your soul and for a minute, time stopped. You felt your heartbeat pounding and heard ringing in your ears.

"Woah..." you heard a voice that was not your own in your head. Then the ringing stopped, and the wolf grabbed the basket and ran.

"HEY!" you stood up and tried to run after the wolf, stupidly. Of course, you didn't catch up and you just let out an exasperated sigh. You knew this wolf wasn't just a regular animal. They had to be a hybrid. This area had been scouted for animals before and none had been found. And any of the hybrids that visited you never warned you about any animals. The wolf had to be a hybrid.

"The grass seems to be greener on the other side," you said out loud trying to be as casual as possible but when you get no reply you say even louder, "The GRASS SEEMS TO BE GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE,"

You paused to see if there was even any kind or response. Okay... maybe that was the wrong sentence.

"The fish aren't quite biting in the lake these days," you tried but heard no verbal response although you did hear some rustling of leaves. So, you knew the wolf was still around, listening.

"There's something splendid about the sunsets around here," you tried but still nothing. Okay this hybrid is not a refugee that was sent to you then, you deduced.

"I know you can hear me!" you called out, "You can eat the food, but can you at least give me the basket back? You can keep the book and blanket too but just please give me the basket back! It was a gift from a friend!"

Silence.

Were you wrong? Was it just a freakishly large wolf in your part of the woods? God were you just talking to an animal like a weirdo? No that couldn't be. It was definitely a hybrid. Definitely....Right? Yes, of course they were a hybrid.

You let out one more huff before walking away. In a way you understood why a hybrid might not be so keen on interacting with you. You were human and your species hadn't been the nicest to them. You told yourself to be patient. One way or another, the hybrid would be coaxed to interact with you.

*~*~*

Just an idea that came to me during a walk! I hope it hooks you guys on.