Chapter 58

A whole year and a half had passed since Jimin officially become part of the inter-pack. In the time that passed, there had been no new mates added which seemed to comfort everyone. It was becoming increasingly obvious that the inter-pack bond was specific to all of you and it didn't just add any hybrid that you all had any semblance of liking. Truly, your pack was made by fate. 

But as your pack became more secure in each other, the organization seemed to go the opposite direction. You tried to help out as much as you could, but weird things started happening more frequently. People you didn't recognize sometimes showed up unannounced with hybrids that needed help; Hybrids kept complaining about the fees for safe passage; Hybrid guests that were supposed to come would end up getting diverted to other houses; Jieun had to leave for emergency surgeries randomly. It was all so confusing.

One of the most consistent members in the whole organization were Enkwang along with his hybrids Minhyuk and, the newest addition, Changbin. The surprisingly muscular rabbit hybrid was apparently being shuttled from house to house with no end until the human took him in. At least, he argued, the rabbit hybrid had some constant people in his life even though he wasn't at the free district. Changbin didn't seem to have any qualms and was pretty happy.

On this present delivery, Eunkwang had pulled you into the office for what seemed like a very serious talk. It started out with pleasantries, of course, which was how you learned about Changbin, but the way Eunkwang walked around the office and looked at every nook and cranny made you a little nervous. You had never known him to be particularly obsessed with cleanliness so you knew this meant something. Once he finished his sweep, he sat in front of your desk.

"I know that must've looked odd to you, but I had to make sure that we're in a secure place," Eunkwang explained, "As you may have noticed, weird things are happening in the organization,"

"Yes...do you know why?"

"I'm not sure why, but we're compiling a list of people who are actually running safe houses properly to try and weed out whatever has infected our organization."

"We? Who's we?"

"Me and a group I trust. You have several hybrid mates so I assume you're not the one of the bad ones," Eunkwang then placed something on the desk. It was a small enamel pin of a purple whale. You picked it up and studied it carefully. It looked like a regular pin so you looked at him in confusion.

"Is there a hidden camera or what?"

"No, it's just a symbol. A pin that lets us know who we can trust."

"Does everyone have a whale?"

"No, that'll be too obvious to outsiders. You guys will be known by this symbol. Put it somewhere visible but not too noticeable. Only the ones looking for it will notice it."

"How can I recognize other people to be trusted then?"

"Everyone we can trust has a hybrid companion. On their companion will be an enamel pin. That will be a sign. That's all we have for now. We're still trying to think of ways to signal each other."

"What about a signature scent? We technically use that, but if the trusted ones always have a hybrid, then we can always know."

"It's not a bad idea...I'll discuss with the others and let you know."

"Is...Is Jihyo and Felix in the group?" you asked in concern. The three of you used to be so close and you would've hated to think that one of your closest friends couldn't be trusted.

Eunkwang smiled and nodded, "It was her idea,"

You let out a sigh of relief and smiled, "Of course it is. What's her symbol?"