four

Daeun bit her bottom lip as she watched all the other students entering the building from her car. She held the steering tightly and rested her head against it. The first period of the day was with Sunghoon and that was making her nervous.

Should I wear a mask?

Will he recognise me?

But then Bina will call my name and pester me.

She decided to get out of the car and took a deep breath. Her legs were about to take the first step when they stopped and made her whine in fear.

"I don't want to! I don't want to see him!"

She turned around and rested both of her hands against the roof of the car.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" A familiar voice asked. Daeun turned around and saw her cousin/enemy. Bina furrowed her eyebrows at her and tightened her grip around her bag.

"Bina-yah! Can you help me? I don't want to go in!"

"You have to. We have class, remember?"

Daeun hugged one of Bina's arms and whined, "I did something to Professor Sunghoon and it made him very angry. But he doesn't know that it was me and I'm sure he recognises my back since he chased after me."

She buried her face into Bina's shoulder and frustratedly cried. Bina felt surprised and patted her cousin's back, "Calm down, calm down. I'll walk to class with you."

Bina opened the door to Sunghoon's class and received confused looks from the other students. She gave them a nervous nod and glared at Daeun who was hugging her arm tightly as she buried her face into her shoulder. Sunghoon who was standing at the podium arched an eyebrow as he held his book.

"Ahn Bina, who is she?" He asked with his stern voice.

"She's a new student, Professor Park. She's my cousin."

"Don't tell him my name," Daeun whispered and Bina nodded before leading her to the back of the room. They both sat next to each other and exhaled tiredly. Bina rummaged through her handbag before handing Daeun a face mask, "Wear this."

Daeun thanked her and sighed in relief. Sunghoon sighed and muttered, "Weird kid," under his breath. He examined all the students before saying, "We'll be having a very special guest today. The president of South Korea will be visiting our class today. Make sure to be on your very best behaviour."

Bina and Daeun exchanged shocked glances, "Why the hell is my father coming?!"

"You, Bina's cousin, make sure not to spill any coffee on the president's papers," Sunghoon sarcastically commented before smirking. Daeun blushed and lowered her gaze. Bina scoffed, "That's what you did? Why the hell did you run away instead of apologising?"

"I panicked, okay?"

After a while of learning something new, Daeun was starting to get tired. She closed her book and rested her head on it. Bina kept her eyes at the front of the class as she asked, "Tired already? Thought you wanted to beat me?"

"It's too difficult," Daeun closed her eyes and exhaled heavily. The room door suddenly opened, revealing her father with a few of his assistants walking in. Sunghoon smiled widely and bowed to give his greetings.

"Mr Ahn," he said. "You're doing a great job, Professor Park. I chose this class because I just wanted to see how my daughter is doing."

"You have a daughter here?" The professor asked out of confusion before averting his gaze to the students.

Mr Ahn took a closer look and smiled in relief before pointing at his daughter, "There she is. You can continue, Professor Park. I'll just sit next to my daughter."

Bina frowned, "Why do you have such a caring dad?"

"I don't even know why."

"Why are you wearing a mask, Daeun-ah?" Mr Ahn asked as they both walked next to each other through the hallway. "It's a long story, dad. I have the flu."

"Then, why are you attending your classes? You should stay at home. I'll have the maids make you some porridge."

She smiled, "It's okay. Why are you here anyway?"

"I just wanted to see my daughter on her second day in medical school. It may be a bit hard for you but I'm sure you can do it. You're smart anyway."

"It is a bit hard. I don't understand a single thing at first. But I'll get the hang of it. Don't worry, dad."

Mr Ahn nodded and flashed her a soft grin, "Well then, good luck with your next class. How about we all eat at your favourite restaurant tonight? Your mother will also finish early with her work."

Daeun nodded and waved at her dad as she watched his figure disappear out of her sight. She took off her mask before staring at it for a while.

I can't keep running away.

I have to apologise to him.

She gathered her courage and went to Sunghoon's office to apologise and own up to her mistakes. "One, two, three," she counted slowly and knocked on the door before opening it.

Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped when she saw him kissing one of his students. He immediately pulled away and scowled, "Don't you know when not to bother your professor–"

His words instantly stopped when he finally saw her face. The woman he had been searching for for so long.

She stared into his eyes out of disbelief.

So whatever he said to me before was a lie?

How can he find someone else this quick?

So all this time of me searching for him was a waste of time?