forty-one

A few days passed. The day of the planned trip finally arrived. Sunghoon and Daeun walked out of their houses in unison. He held her hand before pulling her into his embrace, "Did you sleep well?"

She nodded and pecked his cheek, "Do you remember our 'a kiss once a day' rule? Do you think we should still do it?"

Her question made his smile grow even wider. "Why shouldn't we?" He said before pulling her into a kiss. She felt his tender lips locking with hers. His arms gently held her closer to him, making sure her warmth brushed against his skin.

They both pulled away and rested their foreheads against each other. Their hearts started beating at the same rhythm.

"We'll be late," he said and picked up her luggage before walking to the elevator. She stood next to him and they both glanced at each other with excited smiles on their faces.

She made her way to his car that he usually took to work. He noticed and called for her, "Daeun! We're not going with that car today."

She frowned out of confusion and saw him loading their baggage at the back of a convertible car. "I thought this was someone else's."

"Why would it be someone else's when it's in my reserved parking space?"

Her heart melted at how cool he was as a blush started forming on her cheeks. She got into the car and put on her sunglasses, waiting for him to finish loading their baggage.

"Thank you, Mr President!" The children at the orphanage exclaimed happily. Mr Ahn smiled happily and waved at them goodbye before leaving the orphanage. He walked towards his car when suddenly he felt an uneasy feeling rising inside him.

He looked around and there was no one there. He started to regret his decision of letting his driver take a day off. He got into the vehicle and turned on the engine before driving away.

He glanced at his watch and realised he was late for his meeting. He turned the car to an empty road which was the shortcut to his office. He also started to regret his decision of not telling any of his workers that he was visiting the orphanage. He didn't want the people there to think that he was bragging by bringing his workers too.

He loved visiting the children alone since it gave him a bit of freedom without being told what to do and what not to do by his secretary.

He stepped on the brake to slowly turn his car to the right. The road was a bit narrower than the highway. To his surprise, the brake was not doing anything. He stepped again harder and failed again.

He turned the steering wheel aggressively when his car almost hit another car and crashed into a tree. Fortunately, the airbag came out instantly and protected his head.

Mr Ahn exhaled tiredly and looked around, seeing no cars around. Suddenly, a group of men in black clothes rushed to his car and opened the door. Two of them dragged him out of the car and beat him with a stick to knock him out.

His ears started ringing and his sight started blurring. He could only hear muffled sounds of the men discussing what to do. His eyelids became heavier before he fell into the dark.

Bina walked back and forth in front of her uncle's office, holding a few documents that Jungwon handed to her. She took a deep breath and looked around. A group of men caught her attention. What feared her more was they were walking towards Mr Ahn's office.

Suddenly, a familiar man walked ahead of them and flashed a smirk at her. "Nice to see you again, Ahn Bina."

"Mr Joo," she hesitantly greeted him. She stood at the doorway to block him from entering. The man scoffed, "What are you doing?"

"I should be asking you that."

"Oh! I forgot to tell you. Mr Ahn resigned."

"What?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "He told me that he got into an accident and he decided to give up being the president because there was too much pressure."

She looked at him, feeling uncomfortable and confused. She tightened her grip around the document and looked away.

"So he assigned me to replace him. I believe that document is his. You should give it to me," Mr Joo said before trying to snatch the document from her.

She pushed his hand and gave him a death stare, "Stop playing, you old bastard. Now listen here, where the hell is my uncle?"

He laughed before looking at her with annoyed eyes, "Get her away from me."

His bodyguards rushed to her and snatched the document from her. They then held her aggressively before dragging her away from Mr Ahn's office.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Bina tried to free herself from the strong men but failed.