forty-four

[ edited ]

Mr Ahn brought a tray of warm tea with biscuits as he made his way to his daughter's room. He peeked behind the door and saw her staring blankly at the view outside the window. He let out a heavy exhale before entering the room.

"You have to cheer up, Daeun. I am so sorry I couldn't protect you from Doyun. And the fact his parents managed to bail him out of prison is making my blood boil."

His daughter who sat still in her wheelchair turned her head around a bit to look at him, "He betrayed me. I loved him so much, dad. I really thought I'd end up with him."

"Well, God has shown his true colours. Forget him, Daeun. Didn't you say you met a doctor on the hospital rooftop before?" He asked excitedly as he plopped himself on the bed.

She chuckled softly and turned her wheelchair to face him. "He was handsome. He looks ethereal too. And he was kind. He was so charismatic and I could listen to him talking about how much he loved his job for hours."

"Did you get his number?"

Her smile turned into a frown when she realised she didn't. "Ugh! We kept talking about random things and I forgot to ask for his number!"

"If he is meant for you, I'm sure you both will meet each other again. Fate knows best, sweetheart."

Daeun shed a tear as the memory crossed her mind. She couldn't open her eyes even when she wanted to. She tried her best and gathered all her strength but failed. She could feel something was wrong.

The memory of her and her father was nothing but sad. She felt something happened to her father.

He couldn't be alive.

Not after Doyun shot him in the head.

Her heart broke into thousands of pieces as she imagined her father's tragic death. Her ears caught muffled sounds around her, most of them belonged to the doctors shouting around to save her. She focused carefully, searching for Sunghoon's voice.

His voice was nowhere to be found. She shed one more tear before giving up completely. She let herself rest and fell into a deep slumber.

Mrs Ahn sobbed as she walked through the hallway of the police station. Areum and Mr Lee followed behind her. One of the police opened the door to an interrogation room and revealed Doyun sitting behind a table.

"You," she said with gritted teeth of anger, "If it wasn't for you, my husband and daughter would be safe!"

"What more do you want?!"

"What has Daeun done to anger you so much that you wanted to kill her?!"

"You bastard!"

She angrily shouted as she grabbed the collar of the young man's shirt. Mr Lee stood behind her silently as he watched her let out her anger toward the culprit. Areum sighed and pulled Mrs Ahn away, "Calm down, Mrs Ahn."

Doyun lowered his gaze and laughed like a psychopath, "It was fun, shooting him in the head. The president."

"But the lorry that hit Daeun wasn't my idea. It was Mr Joo's. He thought about having a little fun. And we did actually," he continued laughing. Areum felt her blood boiling and snatched a gun from a police officer before shooting Doyun's shoulder.

The man yelled in pain, "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Is it painful? I don't think that's enough. How about you feel what it's like to be shot in the head."

Mr Lee apologetically glanced at Mrs Ahn, "Yejin-ah, what would you like to do to Ha Doyun and Joo Minsung?"

"They have attempted to assassinate the president. They should be killed no matter what."

Areum nodded and locked a pair of handcuffs around Doyun's wrist. She sighed and faced Mrs Ahn, "You can hit him, punch him, slap him, whatever you want, Mrs Ahn. Release your anger."

Mrs Ahn cracked her knuckles before punching the man continuously until his nose bled. Doyun chuckled and looked at her with swollen eyes.

Mr Joo sat in the dark interrogation room, counting in his head hoping the time flew fast. The door suddenly opened, revealing Ni-ki with a frown on his face. Mr Joo scoffed and what caught him off guard was his son entering the room after the detective with a disappointed face.

"Minhyuk-ah," he called. The son glanced at his father's hands which were locked with handcuffs. "I am disappointed in you, dad."

"You don't understand. I did all this for you."

"By killing Daeun? By killing Mr Ahn?"

"I want you to live a comfortable life where you can brag to your friends that your father is a president."

"No," Minhyuk argued, "You want the position because you want power. You want to change the law to what you like. You never want the position because of me. You never cared about me."

"Joo Minhyuk!"

"Why?! Now you understand why I want to live with Areum's parents instead of you and mom? You both are pathetic. You guys are just rats thirsty for power that you can't even have."

"I never taught you to be rude to your parents!"

"I believe this is the last time we will ever meet. I am ashamed to be the son of a murderer. Goodbye, Joo Minsung."

Mr Joo's heart dropped when his son called him by his full name. Minhyuk stormed out of the room full of anger. Ni-ki laughed and clapped his hands, "You messed up big time, you old bastard," he said before leaving the room.