seven

Daeun tucked a few strands of her hair behind her ear. She sprayed perfume on herself before leaving her bedroom. Her mother was already preparing breakfast in the dining room with the help of the maids. Her father was nowhere to be seen.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Mrs Ahn greeted her with a big smile. After she vented out her anger toward her mother, she felt awkward and just smiled back before taking a seat.

"Is your father awake? We have a meeting in an hour. Enjoy your classes and make sure to have fun, Daeun."

The daughter nodded and helped herself with the pancakes that her mother made. It was her favourite food to eat in the morning. After a few minutes, Mr Ahn finally came down to the dining room and took a seat across from his daughter.

"Dad, I need to tell you something," Daeun placed her knife and fork on the table. Mr Ahn gave his daughter his full attention as he waited for his wife to pour some juice into his glass.

"I have decided to move out."

Mrs Ahn stopped pouring the juice and placed the carton down. "What are you talking about? Is the mansion not to your liking? We can move into another house if you want, you know?" Her father said.

"I am an adult already, dad. I want to have a house of my own. In fact, I've already bought one. A penthouse that is way closer to the school."

"Why didn't you discuss it with us in the first place?" Mrs Ahn sat down on her chair.

"I've been waiting for the perfect time. I'll pack my things tonight and move out tomorrow. You're welcome to come with me. And you're welcome to visit whenever you want."

Daeun was starting to regret going to class that day. She completely forgot that a cadaver surgery test was being held that day. She gulped down her saliva and watched as the other students put on their masks and gloves.

She averted her attention to Bina who was at the table way far from hers. Her cousin looked like she knew what she was doing. She couldn't help but admit that Bina looked so charismatic at that time.

She turned around and grimaced at the cadaver in front of her. It was pale blue as if it drowned in a lake. She knew it was a male cadaver but with his face already ruined and his long hair, she couldn't tell his gender at first.

She glanced again at Bina and already saw her holding the surgical blade. The door to the room opened, revealing Sunghoon walking in with the other professors.

"Good morning, students. I am Professor Jay and I will be briefing about how to perform surgery on a cadaver," Jay said before continuing his talk. Daeun glanced at Bina again and saw her already smirking.

Is she making fun of me?

She sneaked a glance at Sunghoon and already caught him staring at her. They both blushed and looked away.

My heart can't take it any longer.

"You may start," Jay said and watched all the students immediately pick up the surgical blades. Daeun hesitantly picked up a pair of scissors to cut the cadaver's skin.

"Wrong tool, Ahn Daeun," Jake said from the front. The other students couldn't suppress their laughter which made her even more embarrassed.

I can't stand taking neurosurgery classes anymore.

This is a bad idea!

The cadaver's smell was making her head spin. Especially when there were almost twenty cadavers in the room.

Her hands trembled as she finally picked up the blade and cut it into the corpse's skin. She sighed in relief and started exploring the organs and muscles inside it. Suddenly, her hands accidentally brought the blade into the wrong place and blood started splashing on her face.

She flinched in surprise and backed away, bumping into the other student's back. "Hey!" The student frowned.

Sunghoon noticed what was wrong and came running to her, "Daeun, are you okay?"

He took out his handkerchief and wiped the blood that was on her face. She stared at his eyes for a while and felt her throat becoming uncomfortable. She instantly vomited, making the other people gasp and grimaced.

"Here," Sunghoon placed a cup of warm tea in front of Daeun. She avoided his gaze and stayed silent. He had brought her into his office to let her rest. He sighed and took off his doctor's coat, trying to get rid of the vomit.

"Sorry. I didn't expect to feel sick in the middle of the lesson."

He chuckled, "Do you know that I used to have a student just like you? But it was because she had a phobia of blood. And now she's one of the best neurosurgeons in Park Specialist Hospital."

She listened to his words attentively as she sipped her tea. "Can I ask you something?" He said before sitting across from her.

She nodded and waited patiently for him to continue.

"Do you still remember when we first met at the hospital's rooftop?"

His sudden question made her eyes widen. She finally made eye contact with him, "What?"

He scoffed, "Nevermind. Ignore the question."

He stood up and went to the desk before turning on his laptop. She stood up to leave but hesitated. She turned around, "How can I forget? You made my heart flutter at that time."

That was all she said before leaving his office. He kept his eyes on the laptop screen but his heart was doing dances and jumps. He felt his stomach start to get filled with thousands of butterflies.

He cupped his mouth as he felt his cheeks start to get warm.