sixteen

Daeun hesitantly followed Sunghoon from behind. She was shivering and hugged herself tightly to feel the warmth around his coat. He stayed silent, not uttering a single word.

"Are you angry, Sunghoon?"

He stopped walking and turned around to look at her. He flashed her an assuring smile, "No. Are you sure you're okay? You're shivering."

"It's cold. I didn't expect Doyun to pull me into the fountain either."

He thought for a while before approaching her. She felt her heart racing when he was standing so close to her. He hesitantly wrapped his arms around her before pulling her into his embrace.

"What are you doing?" She asked and closed her eyes to feel his warmth. She couldn't help but smile when she felt his warmth giving her comfort.

"I'm keeping you warm. You're shivering like hell now."

"Daeun?"

They both pulled away and averted their attention to Mrs Ahn and Mrs Lee. Daeun's mother looked at Sunghoon in surprise, probably curious about him. On the other hand, Mrs Lee was trying so hard to hide her excited smile.

"Where are you going?" Mrs Ahn asked. "Oh, I'm going home. I can't stay here in this condition," her daughter let out a nervous laugh.

"We have an extra dress, dear. You must stay for the after-party," Mrs Lee exclaimed happily.

Sunghoon looked at Daeun, waiting for her answer. She nodded, "Well then, I guess I'll stay."

Daeun took a deep breath and walked into the waiting room. To her surprise, Areum was fixing her makeup with the other professors' wives. One of them immediately stood up and greeted her with a bright smile, "You must be Daeun! Sunghoon's girlfriend. I'm Edlyn."

She bowed to greet her, "Nice to meet you."

"You can call us by our names. Since you're Sunghoon's girlfriend, I believe there's no harm in being friends, right?" Daera said as she helped Areum fix her dress.

"I heard that you're looking for an extra dress. Here's one," Edlyn said as she handed the younger girl a pink-coloured dress.

The door suddenly opened, revealing a little girl. "Mom!"

Edlyn hummed in response as she was still giving her attention to Daeun. Daeun watched as the girl made her way to Edlyn. "Mom! Dad is looking for you. He's asking when are you going to come back out?"

"Tell him to wait. I'm trying to help Aunty Daeun here to change."

Jiah glanced at Daeun and smiled brightly, "Hi! You must be Uncle Sunghoon's girlfriend!"

Sunghoon enjoyed his time talking to Heeseung's parents. He was so invested in the conversation that he didn't realise Bina and her mother were standing behind him.

"Professor Sunghoon," Aunt Yeongja called him. He jumped at the sudden call and turned around before bowing, "Hello, Mrs Ahn."

"I would like to have a conversation with you for a moment. It's about you and my daughter."

Heeseung's parents smiled, "Please excuse us," they said before leaving to go talk to other guests. Sunghoon gave his champagne glass that was already empty to one of the waiters there.

"What is it that you would like to talk about, Mrs Ahn?"

"I'm sorry to say this, professor. But you are getting old, right? Are you planning to look for a wife?"

He couldn't believe what he was hearing, "I don't know. I never thought of that."

Bina blushed and glanced at her mother, counting on her to do the talking. Aunt Yeongja grinned, "My daughter Bina has liked you for years, professor. If you would consider her feelings and try to have a relationship, that would be lovely."

He couldn't say anything and ended up bowing before leaving them. Bina sighed, "Mom, you scared him. I told you this was a bad idea."

"This is how you get him back. Especially from Daeun. After this, he will think about you all the time. We must not let Daeun marry him."

"I doubt that they will marry each other, mom. I heard that Professor Sunghoon dates and breaks up with other women very easily. I'm sure they will not last long."