five

It felt like the world stopped spinning. Daeun bore her startled eyes into Sunghoon's. Her hand released the doorknob and she stood still like a statue. The professor pulled away from the student and told her to leave before averting his attention back to Daeun.

She cleared her throat, feeling the awkward tension floating in the air. "I came to apologise about your documents. I'm the one who spilt coffee on them."

He felt shocked and turned to look at his stained documents on the desk. All the pent up anger he kept suddenly disappeared. Maybe the reason was that the culprit who ruined his papers was Daeun.

He nodded and flashed a calm smile, "It's fine. You may go."

She turned around to leave before saying, "Should I call the student to come back?"

"No. Please, just leave her be."

She nodded and continued walking but stopped again when he called her, "Ahn Daeun."

So he remembers me.

She chuckled and grinned, "Park Sunghoon," was all she said before leaving him alone in his office. He watched as her figure disappeared from his sight.

I've found you, Ahn Daeun.

I fucked up.

Daeun continued walking into her next class. She entered the room and saw a familiar figure standing at the podium as he read his book. Heeseung lifted his eyes from the book and widened his eyes at the sight of her.

"Oh! Daeun-ah! You're a student here?" He asked happily. Her family often visits his family since their fathers are best friends. She smiled, "Yeah, I decided to try out for neurosurgery. I think that business is not really my thing."

He nodded and grinned, "I understand. Please, take a seat."

She averted her gaze at the seats and saw Bina giving her a death stare at the back. She smirked and decided to provoke her cousin by sitting next to her.

"Don't think that you can win against me just because you have a good relationship with the professor."

Daeun scoffed, "Are you scared?"

They both stayed silent and waited as the other students entered the class. Daeun suddenly felt a wave of guilt rising inside her. She kept glancing at Bina hesitantly.

"If you keep looking at me like that, I'll poke your eyes out."

"Bina," she took a deep breath, "You like Professor Sunghoon, right?"

The sudden question made her cousin stop writing in her notebook. Bina frowned, "What are you trying to say?"

"Do you know that he's been making out with the other students?"

Bina slammed her book close, "Yeah. I don't care."

"Are you just going to act dumb and still like him?"

"I don't even care if he wants to use me. I like him, Daeun. You will never understand."

She nodded and leaned back against her chair, "Right, I don't."

Because I also like him.

And it needs to stop.

"The way you don't understand why I like him is the same reason why I don't understand you staying with your psychotic ex before," Bina spoke, "And stop talking about this topic. I thought I told you to stay away from Professor Sunghoon."

"I'm just saying. Because I saw him making out with a student just now."

"Whatever it is, just because I listened to you venting about your psychotic ex, or maybe I help you avoid Sunghoon, doesn't mean we're friends. You annoy and disgust me. Sit somewhere else," Bina said before putting on her earphones.

Sunghoon stared at his stained documents for a while. The memory of Daeun seeing him making out with someone else kept crossing his mind. He grabbed a fistful of his hair frustratedly and cursed at himself for being so stupid.

The door to his office opened, revealing Daera with a few files. She sighed and smacked him with them, "How can you make out with a student at this time? Can you try to keep your friend in your pants?"

"I have to tell you something."

She stopped talking and folded her arms, waiting for him with full anticipation. He exhaled heavily and frowned, "Just imagine that you've never married Jay. And that you're just a student who's having a crush on him. If he ever makes out with another student in front of you, what would you do?"

"Jay is not you," it was the female doctor's turn to frown. "I know that he's not me. But just try to imagine it!"

"I will try to move on. I'll probably hate him. But it's Jay. He would never do that. He's not stupid."

"Are you calling me stupid?" He glared. She scoffed and shrugged, "You are stupid. Check these files and hand them over to me by this week."

She glanced at the stained documents he still keeps for one last time before leaving the office, sighing tiredly.