thirty-nine

Heeseung nervously rang the doorbell to Doyun's mansion. Areum stood next to him as she took out a small recording device. He saw her and gulped down his saliva, feeling an uneasy sensation in his stomach and chest.

The doors opened, revealing the wanted man in his pyjamas. Doyun flashed them a smirk before standing to the side, "Come in."

They both stepped in and admired the interior design of the mansion. She stayed silent, wondering why he would need a big mansion if he was living alone. She turned around and smiled, "Am I bothering you, Mr Ha Doyun?"

"Come on, Areum. What's with that question?" He laughed, "It's late at night already. Of course, you're bothering me."

"Well, you just have to bear with it. I am a detective. I work all the time."

Doyun folded his arms and was about to reach for something until she took out a gun before casually holding it. "I have a gun. And I can shoot you anytime I want. Don't try anything funny, Doyun."

The said man nodded and led them to the living room. "I'll go make you guys drinks," He said. "Don't. We're good," she instantly said and made sure he sat across from them on the couch.

She sat close to Heeseung before whispering, "Put this in his room."

She secretly handed him the small recording device and locked eye contact with him. He cleared his throat, "May I use your toilet, Mr Ha? I have an upset stomach."

"Sure. It's right by the corner next to my office," Doyun forced out a smile, "I'll have one of the maids to bring you there."

"Thank you," the surgeon said before leaving them both.

Doyun leaned back against the couch and examined Areum from her head to her toes. She narrowed her eyes and fixed her posture, "You hired the hitman to shoot Daeun's father."

"You're very straightforward, Mrs Detective."

"Who ordered you to do that?"

"Why should I tell you?" He snarkily said, "It's none of your business, Areum. If you want to arrest me now, then please do so."

"I'm not in the mood to play around, Doyun."

Heeseung sneaked into Doyun's room and sighed in relief. He began wandering around the room and checking in every drawer. He saw pictures of Doyun partying with random girls at a club.

"Sick bastard. Why does he keep inappropriate pictures of girls?"

He then planted the recording device under the bed and exhaled heavily, "That should do it."

His eyes caught something yellow on the bookshelf and approached it. He took out the yellow file and saw pictures of him and Mr Joo partying together. There were also cheques of hundred thousand dollars in it.

What relationship does he have with Mr Joo? He's not even a politician's son.

I thought Mr Joo is still in jail?

He immediately put all the evidence into the file and kept it in his shirt, making sure no one could see that he was trying to steal the file.

The door suddenly burst open, revealing a maid with widened eyes. "What the hell are you doing–"

Heeseung instantly knocked her out and cupped her mouth tightly before dragging her out of the bedroom. He pulled her to the guest toilet and rested her there. He stormed back to the living room and looked at his wife, "Let's go. We have an emergency at Edlyn's house."

"What? I thought Edlyn and Jake are at–"

"Jiah fell sick and there's no one to take care of her. We have to go."

Areum sighed, "I guess we'll talk later, Doyun."

The man nodded, "Have a safe drive, Mrs Detective."

Heeseung eyed the man before dragging his wife out of the house. Areum flinched as his grip around her wrist tightened.

"Heeseung, you're hurting me."

"We have to go."

They both got into the car and he drove away from the mansion as fast as possible. What they didn't realise was that Doyun was watching them attentively from the window, wondering to himself what might have happened that caused the couple to leave so soon.

Heeseung took out the file from his shirt and handed it to Areum. She widened her eyes, "Yah! You stole this file from his bedroom?!"

"Just check what's in there."

She gasped when there were pictures of Doyun and Mr Joo. She recalled the moments where Mr Joo injured Heeseung until he was unconscious for days. And how he and his wife were the reason that ten students died at Minhyuk's school.

She realised her husband was not driving towards their home. "Heeseung."

"I'm driving to Ni-ki. You have to give him the evidence as soon as possible."

She nodded and nervously sat in her seat.