eleven

A thunder appeared and created a loud sound. All the students were rushing toward their cars to go home since the class sessions ended. Daeun walked back and forth at the entrance, hesitating whether she should leave or not. The rain heavily poured down as it drenched some of the students.

She glanced at the other students who were leaving the building. They all gave confused looks at her, probably questioning why she was still standing at the entrance and not leaving.

Should I just walk in the rain?

Her heart started racing rapidly as it made her uneasy. She turned around and saw Bina walking. Her cousin looked away awkwardly as she tightened her grip around her handbag. Daeun cleared her throat and turned back to face the entrance door.

Bina intentionally bumped into her shoulder, "Oops, didn't see you there. Too scared to leave, huh?"

Daeun scoffed, "Why should I? I'm waiting for Sunghoon."

Bina glared at her, "Excuse me?"

"Why should I repeat myself? Are you deaf or something?" Daeun answered back before turning back to the hallway. Bina felt annoyed and grabbed her cousin's hand before dragging her out of the building.

"No! What the hell are you doing?!"

Bina smirked, "I think it's time for you to overcome your fears."

Daeun stood frozen in the middle of the parking lot as she felt the rain pouring down against her skin. She couldn't move and all the memories of the accident appeared in her mind.

How there was no one helping her for almost an hour. How she was bleeding on the road while listening to the eerie sounds of thunder and raindrops.

"Are you scared? You poor thing."

To Bina's surprise, Sunghoon came running and held an umbrella above Daeun's head. He examined her expression and wrapped her body with his coat, "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

Daeun stayed silent and kept her eyes fixed on Bina. He noticed that her hands were trembling and her legs were starting to get weaker and weaker. Bina felt anger rising inside her and stormed toward her car.

He sighed and brought Daeun back into the building. He held both of her shoulders, "Are you okay?"

She finally looked at him and nodded. He smiled softly and brought her back to his office where it was warm and comfortable. She sat on the couch and watched as he made her some tea.

"Are you scared of the rain?" He suddenly asked. She lowered her gaze and kept her eyes on her fingers.

"No, I'm not."

"Then, thunder?"

"I don't know."

He handed her a cup of tea before taking a seat in front of her. "Daeun, then what are you afraid of?"

She stayed quiet and took a deep breath, "I'm scared of the memories that come whenever it rains."

"May I ask what kind of memories?"

"Remember when we talked at the hospital rooftop? About my ex-boyfriend hitting me with his car. That memory."

Sunghoon nodded and stood up before walking to his desk. He silently turned on his computer and started doing his work.

"Whenever it rains, you're welcome to stay here for a while. Until the rain stops."

Her heart fluttered as he said that without looking at her.

Maybe he said that to a lot of girls.

Or maybe he was just being genuinely nice.

She nodded and made herself comfortable on the couch before sipping on her tea.

An hour had passed. Sunghoon slowly glanced at Daeun and saw her already fast asleep on the couch. He cupped his mouth and tried to hide the blush that started forming on his cheeks.

She looks so ethereal.

She looks like an angel.

He slapped himself, "Calm down, Sunghoon."

He stood up and approached her before gently shaking her arm, "Ahn Daeun, the rain stopped already.

She frowned and let out a silent snore, making his heart flutter. He had to leave the office and jumped around in the hallway.

Why does she have to be so cute?!

He took a deep breath and held the doorknob to his office. He hesitated and rested his head against the door, "What are you doing to my heart?"

He opened the door and walked in before gathering the courage to wake her up. "Ahn Daeun, the rain has stopped."

She hummed in response and slowly opened her eyes. To her surprise, he was standing so close to her with his face a few inches from hers. She could even hear his breathing and it made her heart race a little bit faster than before.

He stepped away and cleared his throat, feeling the awkward tension in the air. "It's already dark. The rain stopped already. We should go home."

She nodded, "Yeah," and followed him out of the office. He led her to the entrance and took a look at the sky. There were no more raindrops pouring which made him sigh in relief.

"I guess we're going back to the same building since we live across from each other. See you tomorrow, neighbour," she smiled and put out a hand to shake his.

He turned away to hide the blush that started forming again. He couldn't shake her hand because he felt like pulling it and kissing the back of it. Which would scare her away.

"Goodbye," he mumbled before running to his car.

"He's just going to leave me here?" She scoffed, "What is wrong with him?"