thirty-four

Sunghoon walked back and forth in his office as he read a document given by Jake. He stopped for a while and glanced at the couch, the place where he and Daeun sat together, drinking warm tea.

He smiled to himself and continued reading the document. Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. He flinched in surprise and said, "Come in."

His back was still facing the door, "What is it?"

"So this is where you work?"

He stopped whatever he was doing and dropped the document to the floor. He slowly turned around and saw his mother grinning at him. She approached him to hug him, "I've missed you," but her hug was declined.

She laughed, "So this is how it is," she muttered before plopping herself on the couch. What annoyed him the most was she was sitting on the spot where Daeun usually sits.

"I didn't say you can stay here," he gritted his teeth out of anger and picked up the document that fell. She ignored him and looked around, "You have a huge office, Sunghoon-ah. You sure are successful."

"Well, I did this. Without you."

"Aren't you happy to see me again? I do remember how you cried about me leaving."

"That was before. You left anyway. You don't deserve to stand in front of me. Now get lost."

"Park Sunghoon," she glared, "I don't like this attitude."

Daeun smiled happily as she parked her car in front of the medical school. She got out of her vehicle and realised that the sky was already grey and cloudy. All the other students were ready with their umbrellas and bags above their heads.

The rain started appearing, one by one. She instantly rushed back into her car nervously and held the steering wheel. She took a deep breath and noticed a familiar woman storming out of the building angrily.

To her surprise, Sunghoon's mother stormed to her car and drove away from the building. The rain started pouring down more heavily than before. She needed to go to Sunghoon. Who knew what she would have done to him.

But she couldn't.

The rain was making her heart breathe faster than before. She bit her bottom lip, thinking hard.

I need to see how he's doing.

Does this mean I need to overcome my fear of the rain?

Whatever. If it's for him, I'll do it.

She got out of the car and let the rain brush against her skin. She ran into the building and searched for Sunghoon's office. She barged into the room and saw him standing behind the desk with his back facing her.

"Sunghoon."

He turned around and her heart dropped at the sight of him crying silently, all alone. She ran into his arms and closed her eyes, "It's going to be alright."

Yeongja stormed into her husband's company and ignored all the workers that greeted her. She rushed to his office and barged into the room, seeing him with his mistress.

The mistress pulled away from him and guiltily stood at the side. "Really? Can't you wait until tonight? It's work time," Yeongja frowned. She threw all the birthday gifts he gave to Bina.

Mr Ahn approached her angrily, "What the hell are you doing?"

"I found these in the trash. Guess your daughter hates your gift."

She was about to leave but stopped when he grabbed her hand tightly. She winced in pain, "You're hurting me!"

"Did you tell Bina? Did you tell her, Yeongja?"

"Let me go!" She slapped his hand away and slapped him in the face, "I didn't! And if she ever finds out about this, I'll be so grateful! All this time, I was the only one who took care of her as a parent. You are so busy fucking with the damn mistress that you have forgotten about us."

He held his cheek and sighed, "What do you want me to do? How can I fix this? How can I make Bina forgive me–"

"Let's get a divorce. Then, I think she'll forgive you. After that, you don't have to provide for us as a father and a husband anymore. You don't even deserve to see her."

Yeongja rolled her eyes before leaving the office.